1.5

Spring, The Year Of Our Lord 1619
Stark Castle, Stark Lordship, Isle Of Stone, a province of King Liam VIII
Tony

I stare at one of my captains, Steve, using the glare that, when matched with my fighting, earned me the name Iron Man. "One werewolf injured eleven of my best and then evaded you as well?! How is this possible?"

"He must have the moon's fury, Lord Stark." Steve inclines his head respectfully. I can see right through him. He's such a suck up, and if he's not he's being sarcastic and trying to undermine my authority.

"Oh, drop the act. We both know you don't care two pig skins about my rank. And moon's fury is a legend for young children, not something that enables one werewolf to escape my best men. Next time, I send Natasha with you." I tap my quill on my desk annoyedly. Idiot, how does he think he's going to get out without punishment?

"Tony, he ran straight up a cliff at least four hundred feet tall. Moon's fury is the only explanation! There is a werewolf in those cliffs with the moon's fury, and you will not be able to defeat him."

"Oh, hush. Get out of my sight and send Countess Natasha and Baroness Pepper to me. And you're on KD until further notice." A few minutes later, the two women I called stand in front of me.

"Ladies, report?"

Pepper starts. "The eleven injured soldiers are being attended by the healers as we speak. The others are either on watch or at rest. The taxes come in tomorrow at twenty wheat bales and three gold per citizen, ten wheat and two gold go to the Crown. In news and letters, Countess Cadence James of the James dukedom has expressed her wishes that the Iron Man finds himself a lady and starts a family soon. She thinks having a dukedom without a couple at the helm is ruin for that dukedom."

"Well, tell Countess Casey to go back to whatever palace she and her female entitlement crawled out of. Let the soldiers rest, we can send out another party in a few nights. The taxes sound fair. I don't care that much for them. Countess Natasha?"

"Your dukedom is at peace. The people are content, the crops fruitful, vampires have not been seen in three moons, and werewolves in four hours. The surviving vampires from year before last's hunting party in which your mother died, may-she-rest-in-peace, have likely either fled back to Lord Delanor's dukedom or died." Natasha finished. I sigh.

"No werewolf has the moon's fury, correct? It is only a story?"

"No werewolf has the fury, Milord. That's an old wives tale. Werewolves only become pure killing machines if they are protecting  someone. Why?"

"Steve was claiming that the werewolf he fought tonight had the moon's fury. You said it would only act like that if it was protecting something?"

"Yes, Tony."

"What would a lone werewolf be protecting? Not others, they move in packs, unless it has pups. Could it be vampires?" I get excited at the thought. I never did find the one that killed my mother. And more dead vampires is more threats removed, after all.

"No. Werewolves and vampires do not typically get along," Pepper states. I look out the window.

"This mystery can wait a few hours, ladies. Go get some rest." I walk up the spiral staircase to my room and fall backwards onto my bed, pondering what a lone werewolf would protect.

Spring, The Year Of Our Lord 1619
Devonport, James Lordship, Isle Of Stone, a province of King Liam VIII
Stephen

My small clan moved along from the impassable cliffs two days ago, after the raiding party. Now that winter is gone, we have decided to be a nomadic people, hoping one day to find Victor's undoubtedly larger section of Star Clan. Currently Devonport serves as a safe haven for us. Next month it may be a forest or Deeppalm City. Month after that, Elmridge or Marden. We wander where we feel like going at that time, but always a place where we can stay quietly. Wanda, the least conspicuous one, buys us livestock to feed from when we stop at large villages.

Spring, The Year Of Our Lord 1619
Stark Castle, Stark dukedom, Isle Of Stone, a province of King Liam VIII
Tony

I look at a map of the Isle. I don't understand it. The vampire clans I know of are of no importance to me, although it would be nice to be rid of them. Yet I seek Star Clan, and more importantly, a tall, black haired vampire with extra bright fangs and a sharp smile. I seek the one who killed my mother and escaped my grasp multiple times. I seek he who is undoubtedly the leader of the Star Clan remnant.

All I have on him is rumors and whispers from drunkards and loonies. These types of men say that a devilishly handsome, black haired, red eyed group came to their tavern, bought out the beer, seduced the whole village, and disappeared before dawn. Lies. No group of vampires would go to a tavern where they could easily be hunted. They are, after all, refugees and criminals, the whole lot.

But how can at least fifty vampires vanish from the Isle Of Stone?