3.7

Early fall, The Year Of Our Lord 1628
Moon City, Stark Lordship, The Isle Of Stone, a province of Emperor Julian I
Stephen

Tony and I ride into the city, a huge smile on Tony's face. We both are wearing special outfits for the harvest festival, Seamstress Keisha had even found an orange that didn't clash too horribly with my eyes. Leaves are drifting down all over the square in the city and people are dancing in the streets. The musicians on the stage smile welcomingly at us as we dismount by an inn.

A merry jig starts up and Tony grabs my hand, pulling me into the circle of dancers. The lyrics to the song are cheerful, something about giving thanks for the bounty of the land, but I'm too busy concentrating on the dance steps to listen. Tony taught me all the harvest dances last night in our room, but while he can do them with his eyes closed, I still trip over my feet once or twice.

The song ends and Tony holds me close as the next song starts. It's a slower song, the music has an almost enchanting quality. Something in my chest stirs, the song evoking my emotions. I feel warm and happy, pressed safely against Tony's chest. He holds me, humming the words quietly.

I found a love for me
Darling just dive right in
And follow my lead
Well I found a girl beautiful and sweet
I never knew you were the someone waiting for me
'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love
Not knowing what it was
I will not give you up this time
But darling, just kiss me slow, your heart is all I own
And in your eyes you're holding mine
Baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song
When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight
Well I found a woman, stronger than anyone I know
She shares my dreams, I hope that someday I'll share her home
I found a love, to carry more than just my secrets
To carry love, to carry children of our own
We are still kids, but we're so in love
Fighting against all odds
I know we'll be alright this time
Darling, just hold my hand
Be my girl, I'll be your man
I see my future in your eyes
Baby, I'm dancing in the dark, with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song
When I saw you in that dress, looking so beautiful
I don't deserve this, darling, you look perfect tonight
Baby, I'm dancing in the dark, with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel in person
And she looks perfect
I don't deserve this
You look perfect tonight

I smile as I press my chest against Tony's. He wraps his arms around me, the two of us swaying slowly. We share a quick kiss, holding each other close. There's a little moment where it seems like it's just us as the song ends.

Then the next song starts, a speedy dance where the partners switch off every few seconds. I twirl between people so fast, I can't keep up. Then the song's rhythm changes, slowing. I switch partners yet again, twirling back into Tony's arms. The dance continues, and I remember how this one ends: he picks me up and twirls me. The beat changes again and I put my hands on his shoulders, pushing myself up and out as he twirls around, giving me a feeling similar to soaring in my bat form. He carefully lowers me as the song ends, both of us wearing huge grins. He then politely excuses us from the dance circle. We sit down outside a bakery at a set of outdoor tables, watching the dancers.

"That was lovely. What would you like to eat?" He smiles, holding my hand across the table. I look into the bakery at the food.

"Uhh... I've never eaten much human food, but I guess I could try... what's the red stuff? Jam?" I look around awkwardly.

"Raspberry jam. I'll get you some shortcake to spread it on." Tony stands, patting my shoulder. He comes back with the jam, a bag with a bread based food that must be the shortcake, and another bag with a little circle of fried dough. He sets it down with a smile.

"I'll be right back." He steps over to an outdoor meat vendor, smiling as he comes back with a large turkey leg. I hesitantly start spreading the jam onto the shortbread with a knife. Tony laughs, setting the turkey leg down and showing me how to cut the bread and slather the inside with jam. I smile as he hands it back to me and starts eating his turkey again. The jam is actually very good, although it's hard to chew when the jam makes your mouth all sticky. Tony smiles at me struggling with the jam everywhere. It tastes good though, a nice change to the metallic taste of blood. Maybe I need blood to survive, but this jam is lovely.

When we finish our food, Tony explains to me that all four days of the festival have the dancing music and the under priced food, but each day has a special part. The last day is the parade, which we will take part in, the day before that is the lamp lighting, when everyone makes a small lamp and puts it on a boat on the lake nearby, tomorrow is the market, and today is a day of peace.

Later, we go back to Stark Castle and cuddle until we fall asleep in each other's arms.