Happy Birthday

Max was in a deep slumber. His phone started to vibrate, he didn't move at first but by the third buzz, the young man snoozed the alarm on his phone. He let out a groan then picked his head up. Max noticed the history books on his bed and rubbed his eyes. He remembered he had been preparing for his class the night before. The young man's eyes fell on the calendar, it was his birthday. Oh, crap! He was so concerned with his studies and the witch hunter attack. Max gasped, touched his chest, only he didn't feel any different. He got out of bed, threw on a robe and made his way to the door.

--

Max found his mother in the kitchen, before he could say anything, she hugged him. "Happy birthday." "Thank you but uh...I don't feel any different. Is Theos supposed to come? How does this work?" Cordelia stopped his rambling, "Max, calm down. I don't know how this works either. I'm a witch not a Greek deity." It didn't stop his worrying, "Theos!", he called out. "I know you can hear me! Well...at least see me!" Delia put her hands on his shoulders, "Max just sit down for a second please." He took a seat at the table. "I can't go to class." Delia poured some coffee into a mug, "Yes you can. And if anything happens, you're not far from home." Max let out a breath, "Okay...did Theos say anything about the time of day of getting super god powers?" She shook her head, "No, sorry." The supreme set the coffee mug on the table in front of Max. "Just take it easy, at least try to enjoy your birthday." Max nodded and gave her a smile.

--

Max stood in the middle of a book shelf aisle in the library as he looked at a book. Theos approached him from behind. "Max." Max turned around, surprised. "Theos? Are you nuts?!", he whispered. "My boy do not worry, you're the only one who can see me." Max looked around for a second, "So I look like a crazy person talking to himself?" Theos shook his head, "Max, don't worry. Today your life changes forever." Max just stared at Theos for a second, "Does it happen now? Right here? In public?!" Theos put a finger to Max's chest, "It's already inside you." Max shook his head confused, "I don't feel anything. I feel the same." "Ah, don't worry you will feel it." Theos began walking away, Max tried to catch up with him, "Theo wait!" Theos disappeared.

--

The birthday boy sat in his desk as the professor lectured. Max wasn't listening to his professor. Instead, he looked around paranoid. A water bottle crinkled, he watched the student to his right take a sip; he thought he'd accidentally move the liquid and drown the boy like in Avatar or something. His palms were sweaty, he was suddenly very warm. Now, sweat dripped down his forehead. Max took a deep breath then exited the classroom; a couple students looked his way concerned. After all, it wasn't like him to get up and leave in the middle of a lecture.

Max quietly winced, his hands clenched, just trying to make his way to the bathroom as quickly as possible. Finally! He made it inside the bathroom, he zoomed past a boy at the sink and went into the nearest stall. Max's hands felt like they were burning. He uncurled his fingers and both of his hands ignited in flames. Max's eyes grew wide, the orange flames reflecting off his eyes, he clenched his fingers tight and the fire immediately disappeared in a poof! Max took a seat on the floor and breathed deeply with his fingers still curled. He whispered to himself, "Fire? Why fire first?" The boy spoke to Max outside the stall, "Hey, you okay man?" "Yeah, I'm good." As Max heard the bathroom door close, he slowly got his phone out of his pocket and scrolled through his contacts. He put the phone up to his ear. "Mom, it's happening."

--

Max entered the kitchen, his hands in his pockets. Delia approached him, took notice of his hands, "Sweetie, you can take your hands out of your pockets."Max sat down, "What if I set the place on fire?" Cordelia gave him a warm smile,"You won't honey. You just have to learn how to control it." The supreme slowly pulled his hands out of his pockets. "See?" She took a seat next to him at thetable. "Any other elements or just fire?" "I don't know about the others; I didn't try to create fire just kind of...appeared." Cordelia made her way to the sink and filled up a drinking glass. She put it on the table in front of Max. "Try something with that." Max looked at his mom, unsure. "It's okay." Max looked at the water,really focusing on it. The water began bubbling, making the glass shake. Suddenly, the water shot up into the air then splattered on the table "Woah!" The mother and son giggled.