Chapter 46

The next morning you woke up alone in your cell. Daryl had gotten up early to go out hunting. You got up and stretched, grabbing clean clothes and putting them on, you sat down pulling your socks on then sliding your boots on. You stood up grabbing your belt and thigh holster and putting them on before walking out of your cell. You walked down the steps, through the common area and outside. You see Daryl over at the kitchen area talking to Carol. You started walking over when someone picked you up from behind spinning you around, you screamed which got Daryl's attention. He saw a man he didn't know touching his woman he ran over grabbing the guy causing him to let go of you. "The hell ya think ya fuckin doin?! Touch her again and I'll kill ya!" Daryl yelled at the guy. "I'm sorry! I'm just an old friend," the guy told him. Daryl came over to you checking to make sure you were alright.

  Once you got over the shock of what happened you told him you were fine. You looked behind him to see a man with short brown hair and blue eyes staring at you. Your eyes widen "Oh my god! Adam!" You said tears stinging your eyes. You ran past Daryl to Adam throwing yourself at him. "I thought you were dead!" You cried. "Can't get rid of me that easily," he said. "How did you get outta there? You were surrounded," you asked him. "Got lucky I guess. I pulled myself under one of the beds and rolled to the other side. I got out just in time too," he told you. You huffed him again, wrapping your arms around his neck and his around your waist.

  Daryl looked at the two of you. He could feel anger and jealousy bubbling up. He looked down to see the guy's hands a little too close to your ass which just fueled his anger more. "Who the hell is this?" He growled. You pulled back looking at him smiling "Daryl this is Adam, Adam this is Daryl," you said wrapping your arms around Daryl's waist. Daryl wrapped his arm around your waist pulling you close, kissing you on the forehead and looking Adam up and down, glaring at him. I worked with Adam at the hospital. We had the same shifts, spent a lot of time together, and became really good friends. "Mmm" Daryl said. Staring down Adam and tightening his grip on your waist. "It's nice to meet you," Adam said, extending his hand. Daryl just looked at Adams hand then looked back up to him. "Daryls not much of people person" you said. Adam dropped his hand saying "I can see that."

  "Okay well I better go find Dr. S," you said. Daryl looked down at you "Ya haven't eaten." He said turning you to face him back to Adam. He said his hands down your hips a little more staring at Adam as he leaned down kissing you and pulling you closer. "Eat first," he said. "Alright fine I'll eat first. Adam have you ate yet?" You asked, turning around in Daryl's grasp. "No, I haven't" he said looking at Daryl smiling. "Well then let's go" you said, reaching for his hand. "I'll see you late?" You asked Daryl. "Mmmhmm," he said, watching you walk off with Adam, your arms linked.  Red that's all he saw. This Adam guy was bad news, he just knew it. What if you decide you don't want to be with him anymore and rather be with Adam. You two had a history and more in common than you and he had.

You were sitting at one of the tables with Adam talking and catching up, talking about what you've been through since the beginning. "So how long have you been with Daryl?" Adam asked "ummm, a year now probably. Since the farm I told you about," you told him. "He seems..." Adam started but was cut off by gunshots and screams. You jumped up "stay here!" You told him running towards cell block D. To see people screaming and running around. Walkers were in the cells eating people. Rick,Glenn,Daryl,Michonne came running in. You pulled your machete and started killing the walkers.

  Daryl looked over to see you standing on the other side of the stairs, a walker coming up behind you. He pulled the trigger of his crossbow and hit the walker right in the eye. You spun around looking down the walker and then back up to Daryl. Daryl ran towards you pulling his knife and you two went to kill walkers together. He didn't want to leave your side. Daryl grabbed a little boy away from a walker and handed him off to someone else, coming back to you.

Once the walkers were all killed you went around to make sure none were still alive and tried to figure out what happened. You came to a walker hunched over a body. "That's Patrick" you said. Daryl shot a bolt in his head and went to retrieve it. "No bites. No wounds." "I think he just died." "Horribly, too. Pleasure aspiration. Choked to death in his own blood," you said. "Caused those trails down his face" Hershel said. "I've seen them before on a walker outside the fences." Rick said.
"I saw them on Patrick, too."  "They're from the internal lung pressure building up... like if you shake a soda can and pop the top. Only imagine your eyes, ears, nose, and throat are at the top." You said. "It's a sickness from the walkers?" "No, these things happened before they were around. Could be pneumococcal. Most likely an aggressive flu strain." Hershel said.

  "How could somebody die in a day just from a cold?" Daryl asked. "I had a sick pig, it died quickly. Saw a sick boar in the woods. Pigs and birds. That's how these things spread in the past." Rick said. "We need to do something about those hogs." "Maybe we got lucky. Maybe these two cases are it." Glenn says. "Haven't seen anybody be lucky in a long time." Hershel said. "Bugs like to run through close quarters. Doesn't get any closer than this." Daryl said. "All of us here, we've all been exposed. We need to quarantine anyone that shows any signs of symptoms." You said.