Devastating Reminders

For two whole days (or at least, Ryan thought it was - he didn't have much concept of time in the dark room) Shane seemed to disappear from the cabin. Ryan sat in the room, completely hopeless, and completely alone.

The beginning of the third day, a sliver of light entered the room. Ryan opened his eyes to see his capture come through the door. He was scared out of his mind, but he had no energy to move from his position on the floor. The look in his eyes was genuine defeat, like he'd officially gave up. And Shane could see it.

The taller man placed a tray in front of Ryan, carrying a plate of breakfast food and a glass of water. Having not eaten or drank anything for the last 48 hours, Ryan quickly accepted.

"I'm sorry."

Ryan answered without looking up. "No you're not."

"What?"

"If you were really sorry you would let me go."

Shane crouched down next to the shorter man, sighing. "It's not that simple. Your family won't pay and now the police are out looking for you. I can't risk myself getting caught. I need the money, Ryan."

Ryan rolled his eyes. "What, am I supposed to feel bad for you? You kidnapped me. You deserve this."

"I know!" Shane lowered his voice when he saw Ryan flinched. "I know. But I don't have anywhere else to go from here. I need money and I have to find a way to get it. And if I just let you go, I don't have my money and I most likely get arrested."

Ryan pulled his knees to his chest and buried his face in them. "You'd deserve it." He mumbled.

"What?"

"I said-" The smaller man sat up, staring the other down. "You'd deserve it!" All at once, he was lunging at Shane, fists flying against his chest. He assaulted the man in a blind rage, fueled entirely by desperation.

"Hey!" Shane got a hold of both of Ryan's wrists, pinning him to the floor. He caught his breath, watching tears flood Ryan's face. "Hey. Listen to me, okay? I'm sorry. I really am. I will get this all figured out but I need time. I'm not gonna tie you up or lock you anywhere anymore, but you can't leave yet." The taller man lifted himself up, leaving out the doorway.

All Ryan could do was lay on the floor, breathing heavily as the tears pooled under his face.