Attempted Escapes

As Ryan woke up the next morning, he felt hopeful. He knew his family would respond once they were sure he actually was kidnapped. He'd be home in no time. At least, that's what he told himself.

Shane was already awake and moving around in the kitchen, talking on the phone. The dawn light from the window fell over him. Ryan found himself staring. He was brought back to reality when the sound of Shane's fist slamming against the kitchen counter.

Ryan felt his heart beat harder in his chest. The taller man turned around, eyes widening when he caught sight of Ryan.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you were awake." He scratched the back of his neck and sighed. "Do you wanna go outside?"

"What?"

"I need the house for a while. Are you okay with sitting outside for a little bit?"

Ryan felt like an opportunity was being handed to him. "Yeah. Yeah, of course."

Shane walked to the front door, unlocking the several dead bolts and opening it. He picked up Ryan's chair and carried him outside.

Looking around, Ryan could see flowers everywhere. It was like the whole yard was a garden. He was so in awe of the beauty of it that at first he didn't notice the 12 foot stone wall surrounding him. Lined with ivy, it seemed to wrap around the whole property. His thoughts raced as he heard the door shut behind him.

There was only one thing on Ryan's mind in that moment. Escape. He hadn't seen any windows when he was in the house, so he knew he'd be safe as long as Shane was inside. His eyes scanned the area around him, trying to find something, anything, to help him get out of there. His eyes focused on something shiny about a foot away from him. A gardening spade. A way to escape. Ryan desperately tried to get closer, the shuffling of his feet sending the chair over. He felt the wood crash against his arm, so hard he could barley hold in a scream. The feeling of metal on his fingers gave him reason to be quiet. He maneuvered to grab the spade, sawing it against the rope that bound his wrists. The friction caused it to snap, and Ryan's eye widened as he slipped his hand out. Using his newly freed hand to cut the rest of the ropes, he stood up and found himself free.

Running to the wall, he looked for any holds to grab onto with no avail. Ryan pulled on the sides of his hair, angry and not knowing what to do. He thought there must be someway Shane leaves the property. He ran around the back of the house, finding a dark green pickup truck and a chained up metal gate, slightly shorter than the stone wall connected to it. Ryan didn't know what else he could do but try to climb. What he failed to notice was the one bedroom window that the taller man saw him out of.

Ryan wasn't even halfway up the gate when he felt himself being ripped down. The wind was knocked out of his chest as he hit the ground. He was dragged back into the house by the collar of his shirt. He struggled to take in a breath of air, reaching up and clawing at the hand that had grabbed him. Before he knew it he was thrown in a windowless room, locked from the outside. He laid face down on the wood floor, gasping for air, completely trapped once again.