Irreversible Setbacks

The quiet music coming from the radio filled the air between the two men. Ryan had quickly come to realize that it was not going to be Shane who would break the silence between them. It seemed that he was content to sit quietly while he drove. Ryan tried to do the same, but he had a million thoughts in his head and he couldn't keep them all at bay. He decided to speak up with one he'd been contemplating for a while.

"Do you still have my phone?"

Shane's even breaths paused for a moment, then he nodded.

"Can I...have it? Or at least see it? Just for a second." Ryan could see the concern in his driver's face. "I already told you I'm not going to rat you out Shane. There's not much point in it now anyway. Why would I have come with you if I wanted to get you arrested?"

Shane chewed on the inside of his lip. Could he really trust Ryan? He was right, there wasn't really a point in trying anything now. He sighed quietly, digging around in his pocket and handing the phone to Ryan. Shane had made so many bad decisions already, he figured he'd take a chance on this one.

"Thanks." Ryan took the phone from him, sliding open the screen. He had hundreds of unread messages, some from family, friends, people he didn't know. He scanned over the texts from his parents. So they did care, at least a little. Ryan felt his eyes begin to water. He went though as much as he could, making sure not to mark anything as read or leave any indication he was on his phone. After a couple minutes he decided he had seen enough and shoved the phone into his pocket with a sigh.

<><><><><><>

After about an hour of driving, they'd finally reached a road that was recognizable. It was good timing too, as the orange gas light in the truck flicked on. They took the first exit sign they came across.

Once they pulled up to the ancient looking station, Ryan hopped out of the truck and made his way inside while Shane filled up the tank. He really had to go to the bathroom, as disgusting as he knew it would be. When he walked into the tiny room, his suspicions were correct. He groaned, deciding it wasn't worth it and stepped back out. As the door closed behind him, he felt his phone vibrating in his pocket. He pulled it out, seeing the name 'Mom' flash across the screen. His eyes flashed outside to Shane, who was still preoccupied with the truck. He took a deep breath and picked up.

"Mom?"

He was immediate met with the frantic voice of his mother, and he did what he could to try and calm her down. "Hey hey! I'm okay! I'm really okay. I promise. But I'm not coming home." He held his phone away from his ear as more panicked yelling came through. "Please calm down. I-It's not what you think, I'm really okay. I just-" Ryan's head snapped toward the windows as he heard a familiar sound. Sirens.

He sprinted out the door, stopping a couple feet from the truck is shock. The police cars were already coming down the street, and Shane had the same horrified expression that he wore the first time this happened. Only this time, it was so much worse, because there was no way out. Ryan was frozen in place.

Shane's eyes went to the phone in the other man's hand. "You called them?" He made no attempt to hide the hurt in his voice.

"N-No! I didn't Shane I swear I didn't do it!" All the sudden the cars were surrounding them, and Shane was pinned to his truck with his hands behind his back.

"Stop! This is a mistake!" Ryan ran over, pulling at the officer shoulder. He was immediately pulled away from the scene by a different set of arms.

"Sir you need to calm down. It's okay, you're safe now. Were going to take you to your family."

Ryan struggled in the officers arms as he watched Shane shoved into the back of one of their cars. "Shane! I'm sorry! I-I'm sorry!"

But there was nothing he could do besides yell. Shane was arrested, and all Ryan could do was stand there helplessly and watch.