II | what

"AND WHAT ABOUT IT?" I gave Lance a hard glare. Sure enough, he was trying to pick a fight with me about last night's events between me and Perla. Lance opened his mouth to continue the fruitless argument, his superior speaking up instead. "Lance," Shiro hissed in a scolding tone, Lance scowling at me before shoving his hands into his pockets.

I scoffed and looked to the side. What a Dad. Shiro had the sprite of guardianship, practically taking anyone under his wing willingly. He loved each and everyone the same and wasn't afraid to call people out on their bullshit. As much as I'd like to say that Lance has the sprite of stupidity, that doesn't exist. The Cuban annoyance has the sprite of comicality.

He makes anyone laugh and is a pretty easy going person. His power usually consists of a blue rifle that can shoot long range and short range. However, he also has the sprite of misery which makes his life that much harder. He struggles with depression and anxiety at times, but we're all there for him. Perla has the sprite of resilience, so they balance each other out pretty well.

Pidge—who was standing on my left, talking to Hunk about something—had the sprite of wit. Her brain processed anything faster than I've ever seen, but she tends to overwhelm herself often. On the other hand, her weapon consists of an angular katar. It was pretty cool and could even be used as a grappling hook of sorts. Hunk, on the other hand, was a mix like me.

He had the sprite of happiness (an incredibly rare one) and also the sprite of kindness. He got along with everyone and everything and was often the sweet peacemaker of the group. As powerful as the sprite of happiness is, he can only create a weapon which is a gold minigun. I shook my head, getting out of my thoughts as Allura slipped inside the classroom.

"I met the new student! She's really sweet and she's also in our first class today." Allura smiled brightly, seeming perky. Everyone let out appreciation of their own, some more excited than others to meet her. Shiro beamed at me, "Ready to meet the new kid, Keith?" He always knew I was hesitant on meeting others because of my love sprite.

I let out an unenthusiastic "Sure," nodding along with whatever he said. The small hint of a frown became visible on his lips before disappearing as quickly as it came. Lance glared over at me, almost tempted to start up our argument from earlier, but gave up once the doors slid open. Upon the arrival, students hurried to their seat.

I drifted towards my desk, taking out my mechanical pencil and twirling it in my fingers. The shoji doors revealed our professor, a dainty female. She was supposedly Allura's aunt and it didn't fail to be obvious. They were nearly the spitting image if it weren't the blue markings on the woman's cheeks instead, along with amber eyes and a blonder tint to her hair.

She smiled warmly, her sprite of maternity showing. It was impossible to hate her as a teacher. The lady was way too sweet and considerate to. "I'm sure you all have heard some rumors," Her voice was soft as it traveled in the classroom, sending some into a whispering frenzy. Shiro—being the student body present—set his hand alight.

His bionic, fake arm lit up with a bright purple, everyone instantly silencing. I felt slightly pitiful watching him do such a thing, knowing that if it weren't for his muscular disease, he wouldn't have to harbor that piece of metal. The teacher sent a grateful smile to him before continuing, "We are having a new student." 

Almost on cue, the classroom doors opened. The girl had pretty h/c hair that swished down in rivers just a few inches above her waist. A bright smile was on her face, e/c eyes sparkling as she swayed happily. No doubt that she had the sprite of happiness. "Hello, everyone!" She chirped, some boys nearly swooning at her cuteness.

I rolled my eyes with a light scoff, leading to Shiro sending me a silencing glare from across the room. I caught eyes of my other friends, but they were too busy paying attention to the new girl. I saw Hunk's expression, however, his face twisted in confusion as he stared at the chick intensely. Brushing it off as nothing, I looked to the side and distracted myself.

I blurred out the rest of the lesson, hearing the new girl sit near Allura and the others. Of course, I refused to do such a thing. Pidge was the closest to me, sitting just a row below me. She kept her distance with the others because Lance ruined her entire invention once by spilling milk on it. Let's just say that Lance was in the ICU for a few hours after that incident.

He turned out fine, thanks to Allura and Romelle. The two were cousins and practically bound at the hip, sharing the same sprite. Romelle was a mix, having the sprite of maternity and flora. Allura just had the sprite of maternity. Both could heal, but Romelle could grow a pretty gnarly forest within minutes. 

After about an hour of taking notes and normal discussions, the teacher let us go, having no continuation of the lesson. I looked over at Pidge, watching her build her fifth Rover yet. "How many of those are you going to make?"  Pidge didn't look at me, staring blankly at her invention and twisting part of it with a wrench. "Until God decides to finally let me die."

I shrugged, mumbling an agreement under my breath. A sudden tap on my shoulder caused me to look to my left, eyes clashing with a pair of friendly blue ones. "You should meet the new student!" Allura chimed excitedly, almost seeming too ecstatic to introduce the two of us to each other. I grumbled, "No thanks."

My eyes glanced behind her, seeing the cheery girl giggle at one of Lance's jokes and answer one of Hunk's questions. Catching her gaze, she sent a warm smile my way. I responded with a bitter scowl, part of my face turning into a purple from my wrath sprite. My pupil contracted, my entire right eye a bright gold.

For a second, there was a flicker of something familiar in her eyes, but before I could tell what it was, it was gone and she was smiling brighter than ever.