► Chapter 28

Neil Madden

"Yes! We won!" Jesse jumps up from the couch throwing his arms in the air triumphantly. Then he falls back, crossing his legs with the controller in his hands.

A chuckle rumbles out of my chest, shaking my head in amusement. The game shows the ranks on each team before sending us back to the lobby for the next round. "You're a lot better than I thought."

"You're pretty good too. I thought I was the only one who played since Brian always got bored after the first round." Jesse says, flicking his head to move the brown strands away from his face.

"Speaking of Brian, how is he? I haven't heard from Chris yet."

"Mom and Chris took him to see a doctor," he replies. "They said he got sick or something."

Relief washes over me hearing they acted as quickly as possible to get Brian help. Although I don't know what exactly Chloe is planning hopefully it's a lot better than Brian overdosing on oxy.

"Hey, it's my turn," Phoebe whines behind us watching the game over my shoulder. I realize the game is about to start again and I pass it over to her. The younger girl grins, walking around the couch to sit next to me with a small blush on her face.

Oh, I know that face. I perceive in amusement. That's the same face Matt would make.

"You kids have fun." I ruffle Phoebe's hair earning a grunt, Jesse barely acknowledged me already engrossed in the game.

I stand up from the couch, making my way out of the living room to see my father. It isn't as if I have anything else to do other than smother him into narrowing the search area. Unfortunately for me, Olivia strolls through the living room like a pacing tiger. Her gaze is on me intently.

Attempting to take no notice of her, I bypass her, but the sounds of her footsteps alert me of her presence. She doesn't speak until we are far enough from the living room. "Neil," Her voice induces me to stop barely glimpsing over my shoulder. "I know you don't like me-"

"You're right," I interrupt not wanting to hear anything she has to say. "I don't like you."

"You think you know Matt, but you don't have the slightest clue of what he is."

Upset, I whirl around to face her. Looming over the short woman intimidatingly with glaring hazel eyes. "What he is makes no fucking difference to me. Matt is Matt, plain and simple." I spat.

She doesn't flinch. Blink. Or demonstrate any sliver of fear. As expected of a Capro. "Believe it all you want. We had an uncle just like him and trust me when I say that once Matt remembers it all, he will never be the same." She talks as if she knows everything. Maybe she does. She raised Matt. She knows him more than I do.

"But you're forgetting one thing, Olivia," I sneer at her. "I kill people for a living."

"You're nothing like him."

My hand wraps around her throat slamming her into a wall; her hand is clenched tightly around my wrist and her knee is pressured against my crotch. I make sure our eyes are completely locked with each other, "You don't know me. I have half a mind to put a bullet in that head of yours, but I don't because that'd be too easy. I like the chase. I'll make you run around in circles, in fear and desperation and when you think you've finally shaken me off. That's when I'll kill you,"

My voice has become cold, soulless. "I hunt people like you and Keli. I've killed worse and I've killed better. I've taken away fathers, mothers, friends, siblings, and I don't give a damn fuck about any of them. So, you want to paint me as the better person? Think again, bitch. Because I can and will kill you then sleep like a fucking baby."