Chapter 10

Melody POV
After we had cleaned up from the twins' party, Riley and I were sitting on the couch with our dad.  It was nice to catch up with him because we did have lots to tell him.
Riley was telling Dad about a role she had just auditioned for two days ago, but her words barely resonated with me.  I missed dancing so much, as it really was one of my only escapes.
I was planning on doing some more dancing while I was here, but I got more wrapped up in the party than I thought I would.  I wanted to stay in Jersey for a few more days, just so I could dance as I knew my brothers weren't going to tell our parents about it and I wasn't planning to either.
I had been lost in my thoughts in a while when I noticed my dad waving his hand in front of me, smiling, but still looking a bit worried.  "Earth to Melody?"
I cleared my throat, sitting up and laughing it off.  "I'm good, Dad.  Just thinking."
"Care to share?"  His smile challenged me and I shook my head. 
"I think I'm just really tired.  I've had a long week."  I smiled back feebly at him and he patted my arm.  "Okay, Mellie.  Why don't you head up to bed?"
I nodded and leaned over to hug him, feeling him press a kiss to the side of my head.  I stood up from the couch and hugged Riley as well, and I could see what she was asking with her eyes.
But I was fine.  I just needed my Dad to be.
I sighed, popping into the kitchen to say goodnight to my mom.   She ran her fingers through my tangled har as she hugged me.
"Remind me to give you a haircut later," she kissed my forehead fondly.   "Goodnight, sweetie."
It felt good to be around my parents and see my family in Jersey.  Despite my dad, it always felt good to be surrounded by family.
I stepped up the stairs, stopping by the twins door when I heard the sounds of them arguing.  What could they possibly be arguing about after a celebration of their birthday?
And why weren't they spending time with the family downstairs?   Dad was here, after all.
Curiosity got the better of me, and I opened the door and found that the twins were not, in fact, arguing with each other, but rather with someone on the phone.
They looked up at me but didn't verbally acknowledge my presence as they continued exchanging harsh words with the person on the phone that Gray was holding.
"We didn't even know they were throwing us a party, for the hundredth time!"  Ethan rolled his eyes, even though the person couldn't see it.   "And we could always do something when we're back in LA if it means that much to you, again, like I said before."
"I still don't understand why whoever was throwing it didn't invite me, though!"  James.  Of course.   Tensions had been high with him and my brothers lately and I knew it was difficult for them.
Without really thinking, I suddenly reached out and grabbed the phone from Gray's hand.
They looked at me in shock but I quickly turned the other way with the phone with the in my hand, making sure they couldn't grab it.
"James, it's Melody.  Riley and I were the ones who threw the party, and made the guest list.   We didn't invite you because we thought that you and my brothers were arguing and we didn't want anyone to have to deal with that."
I could hear James's eye roll through the phone.  "Okay, sure, sister."
"Yeah, sure, sister," I mocked, and that's when Ethan took the phone, eyeing me with warning in his eyes.
I left the room, heading to my own bed.  I had barely slipped on a comfy sweatshirt and pants when I completely passed out in my bed.   Nothing felt better than this.

Riley POV
I had just headed upstairs when I heard my mom yell my dad's name from downstairs.  I immediately bolted up and sprinted back down, worrying pulsing in my veins.
My mom was holding my dad's unconscious head and as soon as she saw me, she yelled for me to call 911 which I did with shaking hands, holding back the urge to ask questions.
I explained what happened to the operator and then yelled up the stairs to my siblings and Emma, who had stayed with Ethan for a while.
In no time, they all came rushing down, including Melody who was usually very difficult to wake up.  
Emma gasped when they saw what happened and E and Gray went over immediately to comfort mom as my twin grabbed me and hugged me, Emma squeezing us both.
"It's okay, girls."
But, deep in my bones, I had a feeling it wouldn't be this time.

Sorry for the slower updates!  We'll try to find a better schedule, but it's hard with school and stuff.  As always, thank you for reading and always feel free to request ideas!  Love you all ❤️
Chapter 11 will be posted on unknown24356's profile!