Chapter 8 : Mercurial Ways

~~Fukyouwaon intro theme~~

Tsuchida Teruyuki trembles at the challenge from his former student, yet the elder does not flee.

Carefully judging his opponent, he steps over to one of the side tables where several swords are laid decoratively.

Akanen watches his every move closely.

The former shogun has not forgotten his old ways of violence that led to his rise. He remembers that he was just as ruthless as Akanen before he formed the Magi.

"Akane...since when did you fancy yourself a traitor?"

"Eh!?"

"You are supposed to bring the lands of Japan together...not tear them apart!"

"Did you not learn from my mistakes!?"
Tsucchi picks up his custom made Katana, a solid forged blade of the finest Tamahagane (玉鋼) metals conjoined to a light stained wooden handle minus the guard, unsheathing it delicately. It's design is as old as the swordsman wielding it. "Violence breeds more Violence! The change will come by peace!"

The darkened skies above release the rain showers it has been holding back all winter day.
The cracks and holes in the old temple allow the water to leak into the grounds, slowly forming puddles of water all around them. The inevitable setting sun reflecting a deep orange into the shrine.

"...Akane..."

Tsuchida has his arms wide open, already wet from the sudden downpour, wishing he could hold his former apprentice one more time. Wishing he could have undone all the things that corrupted the once innocent young woman.

"I loved you..like a daughter."

Akane's face grimaces as she takes the first charge against her former leader, mentor and savior.

She reminds herself that this the fate of the vanquished. She must kill the very person who showed her the world.

~~

Nen has a flashback to when she was just a child, her family's village was subject to an insufferable plundering from a rival town.

She remembers that in the midst of the flames that one forgettable evening, it was a young and handsome Teruyuki Tsuchida to find her surviving in the battlefield.

At first sight, she treats him as an enemy and would not come out of the rubble she was hiding behind.

"Oi! Little girl! Are you afraid of me?"

"Yes! of course I am! People like you are scary!" Akane picks up the largest stone she could muster her strength to hurl at the chisel chinned warrior, the bandana on his forehead swaying in the gusts of the flames still burning, the light of the fires reflect on his black armor.

"You do not have to be." Tsuchida knelt down to one knee and extended his right arm; his palms welcoming her.

Akane does her best to calm her nerves.

"I'll let you in on a secret. Even scary people like me are a little afraid...afraid of fighting, afraid of death."

The young girl's eyes widen.
"Even you?"

"Not just me. My comrades and my soldiers as well."
-And from behind the thick black smoke of the burning village is Tsuchida's men.
A small company of ex-ronin samurai, shinobi, and tradesmen, helping the survivors of the attack from the rival village. "We fight this feeling, with our numbers. We fight together like a family than friends, for a common cause; this is the reason of our courage. Even heroes know when to be scared!" Tsucchi smiled.