Chapter Eight

Ava's POV

I ran inside the hospital Jay and Nathan were admitted to and went up to the front desk, panting. The receptionist stared at me with a puzzled expression.

"Are you okay, Miss?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm here to see James M-c-G-u-i-n-e-s-s. He was brought here last night."

She typed up his name on her computer. "Ah, yes. His family is currently seeing him, so maybe you can sit and wait."

"What about Nathan S-y-k-e-s?"

She searched him up.

"Luckily his family just left."

"Great. Can I see him?"

"I'll need your ID." I took it out of my wallet and handed it to her. She typed up my information and had me take a picture. She then printed a sticker out with my info and I stuck it to my tee. She gave me Nathan's room number, and I wasted no time time making my way there.

•••

"Ava? What are you doing here?" Nathan asked.

I walked up to his bedside in shock. "Oh my god," was all I managed to say.

"Does my face look that bad?"

I nodded.

"Wonderful."

"Why is your nose bandaged?"

"It was broken, so they've fixed it up. I only hope I come out of this place looking like myself."

"Who did this to you?"

"I don't remeber anything. You'd have to ask Jay. I haven't seen him yet, but I heard a couple of his ribs were broken."

"I'm so sorry this happened to you."

"Are you really?"

"Why ask such a question?"

"Because, after all we've done for you, all the time we've spent together, all of the smiles we've traded, you walked out on us like we were nothing. We had to almost die for you to show up in our lives again."

I dropped my head. "I'm sorry," I whispered with my eyes shut. "I'm sorry," I repeated and then lifted my head, looking down at his bruised and battered body.

"I'm bad luck." I shrugged.

"From what I've seen, you're only bad luck when you've come and gone. Maybe you could do Jay a favor and stick around this time."

"What is with everyone and this obsession over Jay and I being together? It's not going to happen."

"Then your visit isn't welcomed.'

"Nath-"

"The door is right behind you."

"You're seriously kicking me out because I won't be with him?"

"I'm kicking you out, because you keep hurting the feelings of my best friend, my brother."

I bit down on my lip before replying, "I see. I'll be on my merry way, then. I hope you get better.'

As I exited his room, a nurse approached me. "Ava Caldwell?"

"Yes?"

"James can see you now; I'll bring you to him."

"Okay, thank you."

I followed her to his room. When I entered, I found him propped up in bed with a swollen, black eye looking at the TV.