Chapter Eight: Auras and Enemies

They all sit in their new seats, their new partners for the rest of the year next to them. Her attention remains focused on her mother as she pairs the remaining students, trying her best to keep her composure. One class, she reminds herself. Just one class.
"I suspect you don't like me very much," an already too irritating voice states from beside.

She doesn't look at him. "Whatever made you believe that?"

"You have made it a point to not be so close to me." He pauses, gesturing to say she's leaning away from him. "And you've yet to look at me."

"Gasp, oh no."

He glares at her. "I'd like you to keep in mind that it wasn't my idea to be partnered with you. The damn b-"

"Don't finish that sentence," she says through gritted teeth, trying to keep herself from snapping at him.

He raises his eyebrows, gaze flickering between her and the professor. Nothing matches about them exactly. The woman is tall, lightly tanned with bright red hair and sharp grey eyes. While his partner is small, deeply tanned with brown hair and deep brown eyes.

"Have something going on with the Professor do you...?" he trails off, already having forgotten her name.

"Madelyn. Madelyn Evans," she answers. "And no, nothing like what you think." Surprising that he doesn't know, everyone else does.

"Evans, where have I heard that before?"

"It's a pretty common name."

"No, I've heard it from somewhere specifically." He pauses, his eyebrows furrowing as he thinks about it. A small little memory pops in, of his father saying something about an Evans. A woman specifically, fairly average human woman who was one of their agents. Why had father mentioned that specific agent?

Then all at once it hits him as he looks back at the girl. "Your mother is Hera!"

That receives a few wayward looks, some of shock, others of confusion, which makes Madelyn sit up straight uncomfortably. She locks eyes with her mother briefly before they both share a nod.

"Focus, I know most of your partners aren't by Ms. Evans."

That statement alone has everyone mumbling apologies and turning back around. Madelyn sighs, silently thanking her mother for the save.

She turns to him finally, lips pressed together in a thin line with her eyes narrowed. "Want to run that by me again, but not yell it out to the entire class?"

"Your mother is Hera, you're a godling."

At that she raises an eyebrow. "Wrong."

"Am I?"

"Yes, you are."

"Then enlighten me."

She scowls at him. "I will tell you simply for the satisfaction of knowing that you're wrong rather than actually wanting you to know about my business."

"Well?"

"My mother is Agent Sawyer Evans, a completely normal person who works specifically under Hades and Persephone. She's a normal human person who happened to get stuck with holding Hera's essence. She acts as the goddess sometimes, but is truthfully not her."

"So I am right."

"I feel like that explanation didn't get through your head."

"I heard you. But I also heard I'm right."

"You know what, I left something out."

He raises an eyebrow at her, tilting his head, "And that's what?"