Chapter 6 : Underground

Behind the locked door I packed my things in silence, throwing the necessities in my duffel bag as quick as possible. Dad appointed Agent Barrowman in charge of our security, after all, he survived the shootout. My private phone beeped on the desk and I took the phone. The caller ID says Bruce Wayne. "Hello?" I asked.

"Isa, what happened? It's all over the news!"

"I'm sorry Bruce. It's not..."

"Who are you right now? From what I heard you're just the secretary of state."

"I hate to say this."

"Just say, I have my own patience meter."

"...Fine. The meeting today, you know that they're going to pick out a new VP."

"You shouldn't be on that, you're the third in line."

"You're wrong about that Bruce." I said, walking towards the window and lifted the curtain. "Both of them were out."

"What? They got assassinated as well?"

"No, not that." I said, dropping the curtain. "They hired assassins. Technically, they're working with them."

"I get it, they tried to kill your father."

"Me as well."

"Still don't get it."

"With both offices vacant I have no choice. I'm now the Vice President of the United States." I can hear Bruce sitting back in a chair, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"And now my fiancee is the most powerful woman in the country." He said, laughing to himself.

"Does it look funny to you?" I asked.

"No madam, but does that mean that I'm under Secret Service protection now?"

"N.O." I said through gritted teeth. "I know you don't want this, you can just call it quit."

"Hey I never said that. I promised your grandmother."

"What? You called her and told her our engagement?"

"A private meeting at your not-so-secret family household."

"The family knew. Well, my burden was lifted by you."

"Look, I have nothing to say about your accession but you have to be careful."

"I know."

"Should we just... suspend the wedding?"

"I don't know Bruce. Fact is now things are so in shambles that I can't make a decision."

"But I trust you. You're the VP and your father is the President of the United States."

"Yeah, I know you do. I have to go, I won't be able to hear from you later on."

"Call me when it's done okay?"

"Not sure, but I will."

"Love you."

"I love you too." I said, ending the call as the soft knock on the door jab was heard.

"It's time to go." Dad said outside the room. Unlocking and opening the door I took the bag and walked out of the room. The loft dad had bought as president had a private elevator that can take us down to the garage that we can go unseen while dressed in civvies. Exiting the elevator Agent Barrowman is already waiting by a black SUV. He was still wearing his Secret Service uniform albeit a bit torn during the fight. He gestured at me and dad's civvies. I chose a long sleeved shirt with a skull logo, skin tight jeans and a cap covering over my eyes. "You look like a college student in this madam."

Dad however, he's trying to look young beyond his age. He picked a plain grey hoodie and loose fitting jeans along with a pair of white sneakers. The hood was lifted to cover his face to avoid detection but Barrowman was already started to throw him teasing gazes. "What the hell Jeff? You're trying to remind me when we're in NYU?"

"Do I? Isa called this a Running Man wear."

"Running Man?" He asked. I pressed the key fob of the SUV and the lights flared, a sign that the car is now unlocked. "I'll drive."

"No, you're not. I'm letting Isa drive."

"Don't go all lovey dovey on your kid here. You're making me jealous." I laughed in response as I slided into the driver's seat and locked the doors. Pressing the 'Start ignition' button dad has already started eyeing on the tech of the SUV while I throwed the gear to drive. "What's Running Man anyway?"

"You mean, you don't know?" Dad asked, at the passenger seat. "Oh well, never mind. You're not into South Korean lifestyle anyway. Isa and I bonded over it."

"Yeah, remember that episode of 'Tear the name tag'? It's pretty funny."

"You know what Jeff? I nearly forgot that both of you are Korean-Americans."

"I grew up watching the reality show." I said. "Mom's always like 'Stop watching it already!' 'I can't work with you keep laughing!'"

"My daughter kept talking all day about the show. It's driving me nuts." He said as we pulled up the ramp and exited the parking lot.

"Andrew and I go way back, when I was in high school I think." He said. "And he was like 'Oh, the ranch boy's here!'"

"You knew that dad's a Reagan." I said. Looking at the coordinates displayed by the GPS on the dashboard I knew where dad intended to go. Looking at the rear view mirror I can see a black Range Rover following us and Barrowman following my gaze, focused at the Range Rover. "We're being followed?"

"No madam, they're the Secret Service. They have the plates."

"What license plate? Tennesse?" I asked.

"Yup." The agent replied.

"You know where are we going, right dad?"

"Why would I give you the coordinates then?" He asked. The SUV's mirrors are tinted and the whole vehicle are armored with the hybrid vibranium alloy I created, which could be an easy target for the unaware cops to spot.

"You sure that we're not going to be pulled over?"

"No, Madam Vice President."

"Pretty sure that this vehicle screamed Secret Service." I pointed out.

"Isn't this your car?" The agent asked me as I glared at him from the reverse mirror.

"Wait, it's your SUV?" Dad asked me.

"Yeah, it's mine."

"You bought it behind my back?"

"No, I used it during covert ops. But now Stark Industries is paying the bill to maintain it, with the Secret Service double checking."

"Stark Industries?" Dad asked.

"Hey, although we're no longer father and daughter he still owes me. He owes me more than fifteen years." I said, holding the steering wheel hard.

"Okay, okay. Now can we just calm down?"

"I wasn't throwing a tantrum daddy. You know me just like my mom did."

"Mr. President, Madam Vice President. Can I just ask, where the hell are we heading?"

"Oh, you'll see Andrew. It's the place that I and my daughter spend our quality time together."