Chapter 15 : Clues from the past

Syria (Years ago) (Operation Battle Desert)

The military plane soared across the skies, the skies a dark cloth covering the skies. Inside the plane the troops were seated on the seats, all primed and ready for battle. "You okay lieutenant?" My partner, Julius Santiago, asked me.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine. I'm just worried about what would happen to our commander."

"He's going to be fine Isabella." He said. "Guy's picked all of us because we're the best of the best. He's also the best of the best."

"You said so." Mack Robinson said. Mack was in Team Beta, was my partner during survival trainings. "If you want to say best Isa's just sitting beside you. "Damn, she's the only female soldier to be recruited."

"Hey, go easy on Isa. She's the lieutenant and commander of this op." David McAvoy chimed in. He was with me during boot camp when we were transferred to North Carolina for battle training. "Wait till you see how badass she is."

"We're reaching the military base commander!" The pilot reported. Hearing the words I stood up, the men followed.

"All right soldiers, let's go get our real commander back!" I said. As the rear of the plane opened we prepped our parachute, preparing to jump. I was the last as I ensured all of the men had exited the aircraft. Jumping off I felt the air rushing past my ear as I opened my parachute. Landing on the rooftop we detached our parachutes and I took out a pair of binoculars, surveying the perimeter. "Team Beta, status?" I asked.

"Copy, Team Beta ready." Mack replied.

"Team Cross?"

"Team Cross ready." David replied.

"On my count. Three... Two... One. Now." Responding I jumped down behind an unsuspecting Syrian soldier, knocking him out and headed towards the door.

"Fast! Before they come!" Julius urged me as I picked the lock.

"Be patient." I said, stopping the urge to roll my eyes. The door unlocked with a 'click' and we moved in, down the staircase and our weapons at the ready. Stopping at a door Julius slowly turned the door knob and we entered a hallway. "Everyone, split up and find Lieutenant General Forest." I gave the order. Julius followed me down the hallway as we searched for military intelligence documents that can be useful. Entering a room we turned on our night vision gear and came across a room with computers along with files scattered on a nearby desk.

"Wait... the files... the files are in English?" Julius asked, skimming the cover of the files. "They're direct orders from the President himself."

"What? Why would files like these be here?"

"You keep it." He said, thrusting the files against my arms. "I'm no good in doing so."

"We have to get out of here." I added.

"Team Beta to Lieutenant Isabella. Team Beta to Lieutenant Isabella. Can you hear me?"

"Yes I hear you soldier. What happened?"

"We've found him. We've found the lieutenant general."

"Get him out of here."

"Shit, we're burned!" I heard David's voice. Then we heard an explosion outside the base and a fireball erupted, sending shockwaves and shattering the glass.

"David?! David can you hear me?" I screamed into my comms. Ten minutes later my heart sank. "David... David is down." I said. Then outside the doorway we heard shouts in Arabic and boots stomping down the hallway.

"We should get out now!" Julius said. We listened to the voices for a safe clearing and moved out. Aiming our weapons we checked the front and back when passing through the hallway but the fire escape door suddenly opened.

"Americans?! Fire, fire!" The lead soldier shouted. The shootout begin immediately as we shot the man first and his comrades in the room. We continued, racing up the stairs towards the drop off point.

"Team Cross, come in. I repeat, Team Cross, come in." There was static to my question and I cursed internally. Kicking down the door we reached the rooftop and waited for the chopper for extraction. "Team Cross! Where is the lieutenant general?"

"He's okay lieutenant. We lost a few man including McAvoy and Robinson. We only have half of the two teams now."

"Prepare for extraction." I said. Propping our sniper rifles we checked the scope for clearance as we heard the chopper's rotors while the vehicle flew towards us. The chopper safely landed and they quickly moved the lieutenant general into the chopper. "Let's go." I said. As we shouldered our rifles we heard a 'thwip' sound and Julius' chest with blood. "No!" I screamed as he dropped dead. Whipping my head I saw the sniper on the rooftop above us, aiming at me. Taking a flash bang I threw at him and used my arm to block the blinding light. The sniper screamed while I threw my army knife towards him. The knife plunged through his chest and he fell from his position.

The chopper hovered above me and I took Julius' body with me. On board the aircraft I saw body bags with my fallen comrades inside and closed my eyes.

Al-Salib Air Force Base (The Next Day)

"Soldiers, we're going home." Lieutenant General Forest announced after our training sessions. His left arm in a cast as his shoulder was dislodged when he was captured. "The President has signed an executive orders to pull our troops out of Syria and go home."

"We can't do that!" A soldier protested.

"I know son. But orders is orders." The lieutenant general said with a sigh. "But the fighting continues, should the president wants to send us back on the front line."

Months later (After Operation Battle Desert)

After I was honorably discharged we gathered at the private funeral for my three friends who died on the line of duty. We're lucky to have their bodies back to be buried here. We held candles in respect as the military personnel carried their coffins draped with the American flag. "Honorary Salute!" We saluted on Lieutenant General Forest's orders and paid our respects.

"You keep it." That was the last words he told me. That file is kept secure in my base in New York.