Chapter 四

The afternoon sun rose high over the Jade Palace as the masters finished up a training session that consisted of teamwork, shields with hidden knives, and flying around in the air. It had been almost six months since they had defeated Tai Lung and put him back into Chorh Gom, this time with double the guard than what had been there originally. They were all surprised that Tigress hadn't mentioned his arrival the previous night; it seemed very out of character for her. However, they gave her a small pass considering the fact that the person she had seen was presumed DEAD. Tigress was grateful for the understanding as she has gotten chewed out by Shifu for her slip in protocol. (Though after some harsh punishments and cleaning assignments, he apologized a few days later for overreacting to her rare lapse in judgment).

The masters finished their training and stood in front of Shifu who gave them their daily critique on the exercise. 

"That was much better than yesterday," Shifu informed them. "However, I still see some areas for improvement."   He turned to each person as he gave them his critique. "Crane, your grounded gliding needs to be more smooth. I know you don't want to scrape your wing, but if you're afraid to make the attempt, you'll never learn. Mantis, I want better precision on those targets, so take a break from strength practice and focus on that. Viper, land with a little more grace, please. I know I have sensitive ears, but some noises are pretty obvious. Po, a little less bounce and a lot more bolt. I know you can do it; I just need you to focus on your kung fu and not your girlfriend." 

The masters snicked and Po turned a dark shade of red. "I'm trying!" he protested. "I just...I've never had a girlfriend before, so I'm excited." 

"Well, if there's a moment of danger, I hope your focus is on the problem and not how pretty she is." 

"Oh, I'm sure that'll be the last thing on his mind," Tigress assured the grandmaster. 

"The same critique goes to you too, Tigress." 

"What?!" 

"I know relationships are new to you and I'm glad you're happy, but I'd appreciate it if you would find a balance between that and kung fu so that we don't have anymore moments of spar-flirting." 

"Aw, come on, Master Shifu," Monkey joked. "How else are we supposed to beat them?!"

"You're not off the hook either," Shifu interjected. 

Monkey almost immediately closed his mouth and mentally slapped himself. He forgot Shifu hadn't critiqued him yet. Maybe that was on purpose?"

"I noticed today that your swings were slower than normal. I expect those to be corrected when I return." 

"Yes, mast-wait, return?"

"Yes. That's the announcement I mentioned earlier this morning. I'll be taking the next few weeks to travel up to the north of China. I have some business to attend to." 

""What kind of business?" Po asked, his face lighting up with curiosity. 

"I've been requested to discuss certain plans relating to the future of the Jade Palace, as well as discuss the perception of character with a man who I find quite volatile, unfortunately. 

"Sounds scary." 

"I'll be fine. There will be plenty of witnesses in case the discussion goes awry. I just hope he's perceptive enough to keep his cool." 

Viper smirked. "That's a little ironic," she noted. 

"Indeed," Shifu agreed. "Which is why I hope all goes well. I'll be packing for the rest of the day so I can leave tomorrow morning. I trust you will have all improved by the time I get back."