Motherly Protection

-Saturday, April 30, Early Morning-

The train was crowded as usual. At least Melody managed to find a seat, even with all the people. She pulled out one of the books she brought to pass time until she got to the station. Her earbuds were already in, since there's no way she can handle the noise of the Tokyo subway.

A book series about a young wizard, who tries to get into a prestigious magic school for potions! Melody didn't read it for quite some time, but she still managed to remember which part she left off on. Almost as soon as she started reading, she became intrigued by every last word she read. She almost didn't notice the train stopping, until a familiar raven-haired boy tapped her shoulder.

"JESUS! What?" she had to take one of her earbuds out to hear him.

Akira told her "It's our stop, I didn't want you to be late..."

"Oh" Melody stated, standing up "Thanks"

The two of them got off the train, having a small chat. Afterward, a young woman with blonde pigtails and blue eyes walked up to Akira. Her uniform had a large white hoodie instead of the usual turtleneck, the blazer on top of it, the plaid school skirt, and red tights with brown boots. Melody didn't know who it was. Though, she's really pretty... For Melody, it was a bit intimidating.

"Morning!" the girl greeted, then looked to Melody "Oh, hey, you're the new girl!"

Akira nodded "Mhmm. She's the new transfer in Ryuji's class, and we ride to school together since she lives nearby"

"I should introduce myself too! I'm Ann Takamaki, it's nice to meet you"

Melody still had the book in her hands from earlier, but she started gripping it tighter and biting at her lips. Oh, right. She's Akira's friend. She's prettier in person...

"Go on, Ann doesn't bite..." Akira said jokingly.

"Um... I'm... I'm Melody Kabel... And... Uh... Same... S-same here... Takamaki-san..."

Ann had a gentle smile "Hey, no need to be so formal! Just Ann's fine. I'm glad we got the chance to meet!"

Melody slowly nodded and tugged at her turtleneck nervously, which made Ann smile at her.

"O-okay, can do, A-Ann"

"Make sure you keep an eye on Ryuji, okay?"

Tilting her head, she asked "...Why?"

"I was only joking! He shouldn't act too bad in class, right?"

"Well... I-I've only been goin' t' school here since Thursday, and since yesterday was a day off, I... I-I kinda... Don't..." Melody trailed off.

The train announcer spoke about the train to Aoyama-Ichome approaching the station, which startled Melody, and the three made their way to the train, but not before Ann waved again. Melody did the same, and off they went to school.

-After School-

With another day of school over, Melody stood from her desk and swung her bag over her shoulder. She was ready to head home and call it a day. That is, until someone tapped her shoulder lightly. Startled, she jumped and sharply turned around. When the initial surprise of the situation faded, she slowly turned around and saw it was Ryuji!