Chapter 6: Learning The Past

[Aya P.O.V.]
Chance told me about the fight he had with Quincy. Also, told me about the elderly man that is just like him.

"You think he may have answers for me about my father?," I asked him while cooking Sunday dinner.

"Baby it's possible, but let's check him out first," he replied.

I nodded my head and finished the sides. The main dish is in the oven. Once everything is done, I make our plates. That dinner we talked about any and everything. We decided that we'd track that old man down sometime this week. I'm beyond ready for answers. Also, I need to confront my mom about this letter.

[Chance P.O.V.]
Our weekend together was good, but also rocky. I'm still puzzled on why my mom doesn't like Aya. I'll be going home after classes, because I needed answers. The moment my last class ended, I gather my things and head straight to my car. Aya didn't like the idea of me confronting my mom, but I was going to either way. 30 minutes later, I pulled into the driveway. My mom had the door opened before I could even get out.
Turning off my engine, I got out and headed inside.

"Hey son, you said we needed to talk... talk about what?," she said.

Ma already coming out swinging.

"I need to talk to you about Aya," I replied.

Her whole mood shifted, she then proceeded to the kitchen. I followed behind her.

"Well?," I kept pressing the issue.

"I don't like her Chance. You know I sense what she was the moment she walked in. That girl is bound to shake the table. All I'm trying to do is protect you," she responded.

At this point, I feel like my parents have been leaving out important parts to our history. I hated when they hid things, it only made my future more complicated.

"Ma, I need answers now. Please," I demanded.
She sighed and sat at the table.

"Our home planet, we had a leader that
is a dictator. Therefore, we left and came here. Word on the street is that he sent his only son here to dictate how things are going down here," she said.

I'm processing all this information being given to me.

"And what does that have to do with Aya?," I asked her.

"I'm deeply concerned that Aya won't live up to her full potential, yes she is half breed, but her emotions could cost us all. We're depending on you both. Especially you," she responded.

"Did y'all know she existed this whole time?," I asked another question.

"No, not at all son."

Sitting there I shook my head. It all made sense why they gave me the speeches they had, but it still angered me. They made this big fuss for nothing. And for my mom to make prejudgements like that, makes me look at her a little different. Not that I love her any less, but they had me believing love is forbidden, when indeed it could save us all.

"Say something, please son," my mom said.

"I honestly have nothing to say. You two fabricated this rule for so long," I responded.