Chapter 2: Leaving The Nest

[Chance P.O.V.]
   'Only if they knew I had the world on my shoulders,' I thought to myself.

Today, I'm graduating high school. Class of 2011, the anticipation of the counselor calling my name is killing me. I'm ready for this to be over, so I can start on my next chapter in life. My row is next, and I'm like the fifth person in line. As I walk up the ramp, my eyes scan the crowd for my parents. I spotted my beautiful mother, father, and Louise. Louise is like a grandma to me. She flew in for this special day.

"Chance Ramsey Kingsley," counselor Coleman said.

My classmates went crazy and parents cheered
like crazy. I smiled and did a little dance before shaking my principles hand. We took a picture and then they passed me my diploma. Now it's really official. After the graduation ceremony, I meet them outside. Ma is the first to hug me.

"My baby," she said while holding me.

I hugged her back and then hugged Louise.

"Congratulations sweetie," she said while hugging me.

I had to bend down to hug her. She planted a kiss on my cheek. Then, there's my sister Luna.

"Congratulations scrub," she said while hugging me.

"Thanks ugly," I responded.

Lastly, pops and I did our handshake, then hugged.

"I'm proud of you son," he said.

Hearing that was music to my ears. After standing there and talking, we left to go eat. We went to the mom and pop Mexican restaurant not too far from our current home. This is my favorite place to eat, even as a kid. And you know being 'inhuman', our taste buds were heightened. Pops sat head of the table, and mom to his right. While we waited on our food, I check my phone. I had an email confirming I get the apartment I want, only 5 minutes away from campus.

"So I hear you'll be going to UCLA," Louise stated.

"Yeah. I'll be getting my degree in environmental science," I responded.

"Oouu... fancy," she replied causing me to smile.

As I glanced up, Luna looked sad.

"Baby sis, what's wrong?," I asked.

"You leaving," she simply stated.

A small frown set upon my face. I was close to my family, especially my sister. Don't get me wrong, we fight and all, but the love is there.

"Luna... I'll be home every other weekend and holidays, plus y'all will be visiting sometimes," I responded.

She rolled her eyes and I saw the spoon on the table bend slightly more than it already was.

"I know, but it still sucks," she mumbled.

Eventually , our food came out smelling and looking like perfection. On my plate I had 3 tacos, on another loaded chicken nachos. The spicy salsa on my food made my taste buds dance with joy. This will never get old. Once we all finish eating, the manager Rivera brought out ice cream on the house.