In My Eyes- Chapter Ten

10. The Moment of Truth

It was finally Friday.

Ellen had called me to say that the Fates were sure that the block was completely gone. That meant that it was almost certain that I would find my mate tonight. My soul mate.

There’d be no going back.

“You’re looking a little scared, Chris,” Leo teased. “Something going to happen with you and Dana after the dance?”

I glared at him. “I’m not scared of anything.”

“This is Dana, bro. Be very, very scared.”

I rolled my eyes and fixed the jacket of my tux. Seth was laughing loudly at Leo’s comment and the Halfling wasn’t paying attention. His eyes were glazed over and he kept fiddling with his tie, which was bright gold. I knew he was taking Emilee to the dance, to my utter dismay. He had gotten it through his head that they were dating- and they definitely were not.

“Come on Ben,” Leo whined, “stop being so closed out. I know you’re thinking about your hot date, but this is bro time. No girl longing during bro time!”

“Sorry.” The Halfling grinned at him sheepishly. “I’m just nervous.”

“You should be,” Seth replied. “Emilee’s got high standards.”

She sure does, and he definitely doesn’t fit them.

“Do you think it’s okay to go pick up the girls now?” Leo asked us. I shrugged while the others nodded. Suddenly, a fantastic idea entered my head.

“Tell Dana and Emilee that we’ll meet them at the hall,” I said before dragging the Halfling out of the room.

“Hey! What’s your problem, man?” he whined but I ignored him. Once we were in a suitably dark corner, I turned to him. For some reason I felt like I was about to go vampire and I had to take deep breaths to stop my eyes from changing color.

“You’re my problem,” I informed him. “I don’t like seeing you with Emilee.”

An outraged look crossed his face. “What the fuck are you talking about? Our relationship doesn’t have anything to do with you!”

“IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH ME!” I shouted at him.

“I repeat, what the fuck? You’re dating Dana not Emilee. Therefore this has NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU!”

“Just shut up!” I shouted again. “Look, I want you to go to Emilee and tell her that you can’t be her date anymore.”

“LIKE HELL I’M DOING THAT! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?”

I wanted to reply that I was a prince and outranked him in everyway, but that would blow my cover. “I am a lot more important than you, boy. Now go do as I say or you will be in a lot of pain in the future.”

“Go fuck yourself.”

The disrespect was excruciating. I slammed the Halfling against the wall, making the bricks tremble, and held him up by his suit jacket. A flicker of fear crossed his face.

“Do as I say or I will kill you,” I warned. The Halfling gulped.

“You wouldn’t do that,” he said shakily. “That’s murder.”

I laughed loudly. “You think I haven’t done it before?”

The Halfling froze, his eyes wide and his mouth open in shock.