chapter twenty-three. broken things

***

***

"we're all a little broken, or else we wouldn't kill people"

***

"All I'm saying is what is done to you determines who you'll be," Marcus said, deep in a 'nature vs. nurture' debate with Chico.

"I'm who I chose to be," Chico stated back.

Jaden walked up joining in the conversation as Andi sat back and listened. "So, shitty parenting made Ted Bundy start shish-kebabing co-eds?" the stoner questioned.

"Bundy's dad—also his grandfather, what could go wrong?" Marcus answered.

Andi sighed, "It's not that simple. Nature and nurture both come into play. Bundy is a psychopath, his brain is hardwired differently than other people's. He has no capacity for remorse or guilt or real emotion in general. Any emotion he expressed was him mimicking what he knew was the norm and then manipulating those around him. Granted, there are other psychopaths that go their whole lives without ever killing anyone, so what made Bundy different? It's not a flip of the switch... it's gradual."

"Shit, nobody stuck a finger up my ass. I'm as deadly as they come," Chico defended himself.

The blonde teen rolled her eyes. "Nobody had too. You're not a psychopath, Chico." The taller boy narrowed his eyes at her, confused at her words. "No, you're a sociopath." There it was. He knew that she was going somewhere with this. "You have emotion, although no real guilt, and you're prone to violent tendencies with little to no impulse control."

Chico scoffed, bumping into Jaden as he walked away. Andi smirked when he did not attempt to argue with her remarks. That's because I'm right, she thought, and he knows it.

"Well, by Chico's logic, I made Viktor three fingers more deadly," Petra chimed in while searching through the card catalog.

Viktor immediately perked up. "She is lying. My 'shoofla' is exit only." Andi did not hold back a laugh that time.

"Never took you for a kinky kind of guy, Vik," the blonde teased and the Russian teen glared at her. 

Chico spoke up again; directing his question at Andi, "Well, then if I'm a sociopath, then what does that make you?"

"If I had to label myself, I'd say... possible borderline personality disorder with a shot of trust issues and a sprinkling of narcissism. A killer cocktail if I do say so," she answered jokingly, albeit being serious the entire time.

Before anyone had a chance to comment, and Andi could tell Marcus really wanted to after her self-diagnosis, Saya finally pulled herself out of her own thoughts to give her two cents. "Whatever broken shit is inside us is there the day we're born. People are what they are."