chapter thirty. bunk drugs

***

***

"ooh, free samples!"

***

warning: drug use/abuse

***

Simon pulled his car into a rest stop parking lot filled to the brim with hippies. It was surprising that they had not begun to spill into the roadway.

"Damn," Andi said, looking out into the sea of flower power. "Is there a Grateful Dead concert tonight or something?"

Maria and Saya laughed lightly from the backseat. "Has to be," Simon replied. "This has to be the largest congregation of hippies since Woodstock."

Saya leaned forward as Simon parked the car, while Willie, Billy, and Marcus pulled up next to them. "Please tell me you're not a Deadhead," Marcus groaned in disdain while Simon looked appalled by the accusation.

"Excuse you, Marcus. I was only following Saya's directions to stop here!"

Marcus turned his accusing gaze to Saya in the backseat. The Kuroki girl rolled her eyes, "Hippies congregate here when they're not following Jerry Garcia's foul taint around." Andi and Maria scrunched up their noses at the disgusting visual. Saya quickly got out of the car, waiting for everyone to follow but no one did. "Hippies have drugs," she almost snapped at them.

"Ah!" Maria and Andi responded, understanding what she was getting at.

Willie stepped out of the driver's seat of the red convertible and everybody else followed suit. Pushing the driver's seat up so he could climb out of the backseat, Billy gave Saya a questioning look, "Since when do you partake?"

Saya narrowed her eyes and smirked at the green-haired boy. "I grew up Yakuza. I managed a champagne club before I was thirteen. Hard-core, not some rookie-hour, baby bullshit you pansies get up to."

Andi restrained a laugh as Billy playfully mocked Saya behind her back, making Maria reach over and smack him. She turned toward Marcus and Willie who looked very impressed, if maybe a little disbelieving, at Saya's accomplishments.

"Give us your money," the blonde said firmly. When Marcus raised an eyebrow at her and hesitated, Saya spoke up once again.

"You can't trust these crunchy fuckers." Andi nodded in agreement.

Marcus did not give in though, confident in his own drug-buying abilities. Well, overconfident. "You don't think I can tell if someone is selling me bunk drugs?"

All three girls immediately responded with an "mm-mm" and were not afraid to let Marcus know their lack of faith in him.

Andi held out her hand yet again. "Why don't you let us deal with it?"