Chapter 22

This caught me off guard.
"If you're not from earth, where are you from?" I ask, he looks up at the sky.
"I'm from a planet called Asaani. I was put on earth to document humans, but I ended up becoming friends with them. Eventually, they would be taken away from me, my race didn't like that I was socializing with them. Eventually, they abandoned me here, I was upset at first, but I found that there are good things about earth. I've been trying to make my own spaceship to get out of here so I can explore the rest of this beautiful universe, but I've barely got enough parts to make the frame of a ship. The reason I didn't want to tell you was because I knew you'd be afraid and bringing it up might attract them again. I don't want whatever happened to all my friends to happen to you." He explains all of this to me. when he's finished he double-taps his right temple, I watch as his human face dissolves away from the spot he touched and I get to see the real Kai for the first time. He has smooth azure blue skin, green eyes that remind me of cat eyes, thick antennas sticking out of his hair that match his skin, and he has hands with seven long fingers on each of them.
"What do you think?" He asks, looking to the side. I gently grab his chin and move his head to face me.
"I didn't think you could get any more handsome than you were before, and somehow you are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen." I tell him, his cheeks glowing green as I see him blush clearly for the first time.
"You could come with me, we could finish the ship, go fly off to other planets, and come back to visit your friends whenever you want." He says, I smile at the thought, but I know I can't stay with him.
"I wish I could, but I can't. Remember that bad news I told you about?" I remind him, and he gives me a sad look at his antenna droop.
"Why?" He asks.
"I'm moving away, I have to go back to the city. I'm gonna help Vivian through her problems, and she'll help me through mine. If I go missing now, I would only be hurting people more in a time when they're already in enough pain as it is." I explain to him, he's sad, but he understands.
"Maybe someday, when I'm older, I'll come back and take you up on that offer." I tell him. I hug him, I don't ever want to let go, I don't want to leave him.
"I love you, Phe." He says.
"I love you too." I reply. "I wish you could come with me." I continue, wishing for him to say he will, knowing he won't.
"I'm sorry." He tells me, and I hold him tighter. I start to cry again.
"I miss you already, Kai."