3. Dinner With The Devil

Chapter 3: Dinner With The Devil

I screamed at Grim in a very undignified, un-Hollywood manner. My director and makeup staff would have fainted. "Stop falling! AHHHHHH!"

"I can't!" he wailed back as we plummeted to our d- well, I suppose I was already dead. I had to stop thinking I was still alive.

"Wait, do you die?" I asked him.

"No!" He wailed.

"Then why are you so afraid?" I yelled back. The wind roared in my ears. How high had we been? We still hadn't reached the ground.

"It's Hell!" he groaned, just as we smacked the ground.

Everyone oohed and aahed. The Customs Gates had already closed, so we were the peoples' prime source of entertainment now. I hated it. I was used to being the centre of attention, yes, but not in this way!

Surprisingly, I didn't feel hurt. I just felt a slight ache on my body, but I dusted myself off and stood up tall, determined to take a swing at whoever had just made me fall ten thousand feet down. Since I was already dead, I couldn't do any more harm to myself, so I might as well appease the violent part of my mind. The part that had always secretly had violent tendencies. That was my logic.

But it all failed and my bravado stuck in my throat as a dark, shadowy figure stepped into view.

Everyone knelt. And by that I mean everyone. All around, the dead kissed the ground respectfully. I wanted to kneel too, really I did. But my legs just turned to ice, and they wouldn't bend. Bend! I screamed mentally at my legs. I knew I would have to suffer major consequences if I didn't, so I had to make them bend now.

The figure was tall, towering over everyone. I mean, that was given, because they were still kissing the ground. But he was taller than me by at least two heads, and I did not like that. Back on Earth, in real life, I had been famous for my height of 150 cm, yes, very short, and so this was even worse than usual.  And it was literally like an invisible force had pushed my chin up to look at him. My eyes slowly trailed up his figure. He wore a cloak, too, like the Grim Reaper, but on him it looked better. (Sorry, Grim.) 

It had dark fur on the collar and hem and beautiful gray buckles everywhere. A thin belt cinched in the black fabric at his waist, and the rest of the fabric billowed out behind him. He had knee-high boots, and was similarly attired in black gloves, only his stretched to the elbows, and the boots and gloves looked more like they were made of metal than cloth. A hood was on his head, and he wore a black mask. I could tell, however, that he had a pronounced jawline, and high cheekbones. 

His eyes flickered dangerously in the evening light. They were dark irises, and it was impossible to tell what colour they were, as they were constantly shifting from colour to colour. Some of the colours I saw, however, were these: maroon, gray, and black. But I knew there were infinite colours that his eyes could change into. That was awesome. And his eyebrows...beautiful. Sharp and defined, they framed his eyes perfectly. 

He ripped off his mask. Of course the face below was perfect, unmarred by anything. Alright, it was smoking hot. I hated to admit it, though. Perfect nose, perfect mouth, perfect cheeks, even. It made my celebrity crushes on Earth, and even the Grim Reaper, pale in comparison. 

"Why were you flying with a dead mortal?" the man hissed.

I didn't know what to say. What would make him not mad? That was the rational part of my brain speaking. The other part started to rave about his immensely melodious voice.

The Grim Reaper knelt and answered "We were trying to get to Customs." But he couldn't keep a cheeky tone out of his voice, and I prayed to the skies that he wouldn't get blasted.

"Who is she?"

"Kayla Marie."

"That famous celebrity? The one on Manshakers?" he asked.

What? That was my most embarrassing show ever! I had only agreed to go on it because it paid an exorbitant sum of money. I hated anyone mentioning it, because it was simply too humiliating to remember me batting my eyes at men.

The Grim Reaper looked at me in a panic. Apparently he hadn't watched that show. I felt a sense of relief and gratitude towards him. Anyway, I nodded, and he said "Yes, sir."

Devil said "Well. I see. Perhaps we should have a little chat. Kayla Marie, please come this way."

My stomach gave a large growl before I could.

The Devil looked a little taken aback, but he regained his composure and muttered "Well, I suppose we could go to the nearest cafe while we're at it."

"Thanks?" I mumbled back.

The crowd, which had been frozen before, started to talk amongst themselves. I had no idea how they did that while kissing the ground. Then one brave soul cried out "Please don't harm Ms Kayla! I'm her biggest fan, and I don't want I Walked Into Hell to come true!"

I winced. Another one of the blockbusters the world had loved, but yet another humiliating experience. In fact, I didn't like all of my shows. They were plain stupid. 

"Yeah!" there was a chorus. 

The devil looked uncertain for the first time, and it occurred to me that he, too, was putting on a show, appearing more commanding than he really was.

The Grim Reaper hustled us into the nearest cafe, which was called "Halfway to Heaven". Very apt. The food was, well, heavenly. We got VIP treatment from the moment I walked in with both the Grim Reaper and the Devil. 

The seats were unique, too: made up of little clouds tied together with silver threads. It was soft to sit on, and I liked it very much.

I ordered the Heavenly Platter, which essentially consisted of lots of chicken and fish, and lots of vegetables, and with lots of rice. I liked rice. I couldn't live without rice.

The Grim Reaper and the Devil stared at each other for a tense moment after the waitress, a very pretty girl with eyes like the blue sky, left to give our order to the kitchen. 

Then the Grim Reaper burst out laughing, and I turned to him in horror. 

Why the heck was he laughing in front of the Devil? He was so screwed.

Hi! It's aurum autumn again. 

I do apologise for the short chapters. Personally I like 3000 word long chapters, but it's impossible to write with school going on! Too hectic. My school is really stressful!