4. Friendship Goals

Chapter 4: Friendship Goals

"Long time no see," Grim choked out finally. "I see you...went through puberty."

I spat out my water. 

The Devil looked disgusted. He was sitting opposite me, and the spray hadn't even reached him, but he still looked like he had witnessed me vomit. He diverted his gaze from me to the Grim Reaper, and had a silent stare-off with Grim.

Grim seemed to be having a laugh all by himself. He was laughing hysterically, holding his stomach. His spear had slipped from his grasp to the floor, but he was still laughing. 

The Devil picked it up. "Can I skewer you please?" he asked. "I think you'd look good barbequed."

"Or is it barbie-qued?" Grim replied, doubling over again. "You were like a Barbie before puberty hit you like a truck, tiny and like a kid. Now you're all grown. HA-HA-HA-HA!"

The Devil frowned. Earlier, I had detected no trace of sarcasm in his voice. The Devil was, apparently, very serious about wanting to make Grim into a human kebab. 

Grim didn't seem to care. He was laughing still, and tears of laughter were streaming down his eyes. The red around his eyes started to slip down his face, and I exhaled. Luckily it was just makeup. His eyes weren't really red.

Grim turned to me. "See how funny it is? HA-HA-HA!"

"Uh-" I swallowed nervously. Grim had been good to me, yes. But right now he looked about as sane as a drunk hyena. 

The Devil cocked his head. He was still gripping the spear. "I really want to kill you right now."

Grim finally sat up in his seat and wiped the tears from his eyes. He also wiped off the red make up, and yelped when he saw it. "I laughed so hard I bled?"

The Devil looked impatient to use the spear. Frankly, I wanted to grab it and skewer Grim through myself.

"I haven't seen you for millenia, and this is how you greet me?" the Devil asked.

"Yep," Grim said brightly, wiping his hand on the tablecloth. "It's hilarious. You were just a little boy drooling saliva all over, and now you're all grown up and dashing! Although, I see, you're still as awkward and formal as ever."

I had just taken a sip of water when he said all this, and I felt an urge to spit it out. My cheeks bulged. I wanted to laugh so badly, but I caught the Devil's eye. It was twitching, like he wanted to impale me. So I gulped the water down really fast, and ended up choking. Smart.

Grim laughed at me. He seemed to change around the Devil, he became more lighthearted and joyous. Earlier, he had seemed just like the Devil's scared servant, but in private, I could see that they were close friends. It was probably just superb acting on both parts that gave the impression that the Devil was intimidating Grim into submission. It was weird, but I accepted it. I had come to the clouds in a yellow school bus with a granny, a baby, and a prisoner. What more was weird?

"Tenebris, you didn't grow up at all," The Devil said.

Grim looked alarmed at his name. I registered that it was Latin for darkness, because I had had to learn a few Latin words once for a show. If Grim was darkness, what was the devil?

"I hate to interrupt your millenia long reunion, but why am I here?" I asked, taking the opportunity when both seemed more or less on friendlier terms.

"Ah. Well, I just felt like it. And Grim seemed to like you. But you're free to go to Customs too," The Devil said casually, pointing the spear at the door and narrowly missing me. I ducked my head.

"Don't worry. It can't kill you if you're already dead," The Devil commented impatiently, and he said "But today I am in a good mood, and you just happened to be there, so I thought you would like a meal here."

"Why is no one here?" I asked at the same time Grim leaned forward and batted his eyelashes, saying "Are you in a good mood because I'm here?"

The Devil blinked. His rakishly handsome face contorted in an expression of confusion. "Sorry, that's too many questions for my brain cell."

"Brain cell. You said singular. You finally admitted that you don't possess as good a brain as mine," Grim crowed. He did a "V" sign under his chin. 

We stared at Grim. "Grim," I said. "You're weird."

"Is weird a synonym for handsome?" Grim asked.

"No," The Devil and I said simultaneously. Only difference was, I said it while only half-believing myself, while the Devil said it with conviction.

"You guys are friendship goals," I said slightly wistfully. I'd never had such close friends. Maybe the closest was Ajax, my ex boyfriend, or my I'm-gonna-kill-you sister Kiera.

That sounded pathetic. Lol, you suck.

Shut up, inner voice. I don't need you being more critical than Goodreads reviews.

Grim smiled at me, his eyes twinkling. "Aw. I'll be your friend too."

"Wait, why are you so casual here? You were scary earlier," I said.

Grim winked at The Devil. "I guess I'm in a good mood too."

The Devil snorted and took a sip of sparkling water. I hated that stuff. I mean, if you wanted a fizzy drink, you should drink Fanta or something. Sparkling water was plain weird.

"Anyway, you can go to Customs if you want. But if you go, you probably won't make it in. They have a lot of dead people waiting," Grim explained.

"Can I eat first then go?" I asked eagerly. I still had to wolf down my Heavenly Platter.

"Whatever you want, dear. Although Lucifer here can fast track your waiting time."

"You know what? I want to get to Heaven," I said, and jumped up.

They stared at me with wide eyes. "You want to go to that prissy place?" Grim asked incredulously. "They do nothing but sit there all day."

"But Hell punishes bad spirits," I argued.

"That's what you think of the underworld?" Grim laughed. "Heaven is for the gods. Only those deemed worthy to be gods or be like, servants to them, can go. Usually most people end up in the underworld. They could go to the Punishment Isles, or even end up in Hell if they're lucky. Hell is the capital of the underworld, girl. It's a fine place to be."

"Lemme just see what they say," I told them brightly. "So please fast track me."

The Devil lifted a shoulder. "Sure. Done."

"Oh yeah! Heaven, here I come!" I whooped.