6. Afterlife Rules With A Water Spirit

Chapter 6: Afterlife Rules With A Water Spirit

Feeling dejected, I left the horrible Customs building and trotted to Halfway To Heaven, the little place I had been with to sit with the Devil and Grim. The restaurant name really was ironic, huh. I wasn't even halfway to Heaven. I was halfway to Hell. Ugh.

"Back already?" Grim said jovially. He promptly removed his hand from poking the Devil's face with a chopstick and waved at me.

"Well...I didn't make it to Heaven," I decided to say. "Some document issues. But they told me to go to Hell."

Grim's eyes lit up like stars. I couldn't help smiling, it was cute. Seeing a glint in those dark eyes was beautiful and it almost made me forget my mission. "Awesome. I'm sure you will adore Hell, Kayla Marie. You can stay in the Palace! Right, Lucifer?" He stared pointedly at the Devil. The Devil frowned and shifted under his gaze, then nodded reluctantly, grumbling something under his breath.

The girl with pretty blue eyes came out again and served us. I noticed now that it wasn't just her eyes that were blue. Her entire body was sheathed in shades of blue: baby blue, robin blue, and azure. She stood tall, which wasn't much because her head barely popped over the table surface. Hair flowed around her face in wavy streams and her eyes twinkled.

Surprisingly, she didn't seem to fear the two beings from Hell. I guess if she had been here to witness their crazy behaviour that was so unlike what you would expect from Hellish beings, she wouldn't feel afraid.

I smiled at her. She was so cute! I loved how she was all blue. I didn't know how but it was such an interesting fashion statement. And I loved blue hair. It always looked good.

She smiled back and then dropped her eyes as if ashamed of her actions. The little spirit walked quickly back to the kitchen. I stared after her.

"A water spirit. Usually would be leaking water like mad but it appears an enchantment has been placed on her. She is probably bound to this place," Grim explained.

I looked down at my food. How would I ever betray these people...how would I even betray them in the first place? I had no skills, no powers. The Devil would kill me instantly. And if he didn't then the Heavenly King would. I quite liked Grim and the Devil though...they were fun to be around.

You could not do it.

And what, huh, stupid? There's no choice. Ajax is rotting because of you. You should fix this mess.

By creating another bigger mess?

I groaned and stuck my spoon firmly into my food, taking a huge bite and chewing fiercely to get rid of my stupid inner thoughts. It was just like Frank Zhang, in which Ares and Mars fought in his head. Except I wasn't a hero and I wasn't good like him.

"I...take it you enjoy the food," the Devil said after an awkward pause, directing the remark to me.

"Of course!"

I looked at dear old Grim who had replied cheerfully and enthusiastically, and laughed a little. He was anything but grim.

Grim's eyes suddenly glazed off as if he was thinking of something. I got that. I did that a lot too. He bit his incredibly attractive lip and leaned towards the Devil. "Lucifer, I have to tell you something."

"Why can't you say it telepathically?" The Devil asked.

"Okay, but I'd prefer we talk. This is important. I don't like how my voice sounds in my head."

"How does it sound?" I asked curiously.

Grim reddened and one side of the Devil's mouth quirked up. "He sounds squeaky and high like a baby."