4. phase four: monitor and control

It had been a couple weeks since Baekhyun started working at the coffee shop and approximately three days since the Kyungsoo and Chanyeol's date. Things had gone well apparently, considering Kyungsoo had been texting the other almost every night since then. He was a bit reluctant to tell Baekhyun how it went, knowing his best friend would say "I told you so" (and he did).

Baekhyun figured Kyungsoo never needed to know that he and Sehun followed them that night. "So are you guys like dating now?" Baekhyun giggled into the phone as he took a bite of his bagel. "Is he your boyfriend?" He heard a frustrated groan from the other.

"You're seriously annoying you know that?"

"You're only saying that cause you know I was right the entire time. Admit it, I'm a romantic genius!" Kyungsoo could practically hear the other's smirk through the phone. "Whatever," he scoffed, "Fine I admit your little hobby isn't completely useless."

"Hobby?! It's my profession and I'm very good at my job as you can tell." Baekhyun's phone suddenly went off, his alarm signalling for him that his lunch break was over. He said goodbye to the other and quickly cleaned up the table he was sitting at before getting back behind the counter to take over for the other cashier. Working at the shop was pretty fun, Baekhyun thought. The owner was nice to him, he got free pastries and coffee, and the customers were always friendly, which meant pretty good tips for him.

He knew most of the customers that came in, since the shop was near his university most of the regulars were students he saw around campus or people from the neighborhood. This day, however, a new face had walked through the doors. Baekhyun examined the young man as he entered, he had never seen him around before. He looked like he had a good few inches over him, full lips, sharp jawline, dyed blonde hair, and he looked around Baekhyun's age. He's pretty good looking, Baekhyun thought.

"Hi, Welcome to Deja Brew, what can I get you today?"

The stranger chuckled, Baekhyun could feel his heart fluttering in his chest as the other softly smiled. "That's a clever name."

"Y-Yeah the owner's husband is a huge fan of clever word play," Baekhyun lightly laughed. Why was he feeling so nervous all of a sudden?

"So what's good here?"

"Well what do you like?"

"Hmm," the stranger scrunched up his nose while looking at the menu, "Well I don't like coffee."

Baekhyun laughed, "You do realize this is a coffee shop right?"

The boy sheepishly chuckled as he scratched the back of his head. Baekhyun internally squealed, this boy was seriously just too cute for his own good. "Well if you don't like coffee, I recommend our hot chocolate. It's probably the best in town."

"Alright but if it's not the best then you owe me." The playful smirk on the other's face had Baekhyun almost throwing himself to the ground. Was this boy even aware of what he was doing to him?

"Okay, can I have a name for the order?"

"Jongin."

No more words were spoken as they waited for the drink. Baekhyun was the first to break the silence, he wanted to know about this stranger. "I've uhm never seen you around before," Baekhyun said, "I usually know all the folks that come in here but I don't think I've seen you before?"

"Ah yeah I'm not from here, just in town to visit a friend. He goes to a university near-"

"Yah Kim Jongin, I told you to wait for me before ordering."

Baekhyun knew that voice, his jaw nearly dropped as he looked behind Jongin to see if his intuitions were right.

"Yah Oh Sehun, is that anyway to talk to your dear friend?" Jongin teased. "I knew you were gonna make me pay for your drink and still owe me twenty dollars remember?"