Mom's Gone

Another day passed and the same routine chaos dinner and then bed. After dinner everyone settled up in their bedroom as it was a school night. One by one my dad made his way to each room. My parents tried to do that most nights.

"Come in" I said once I heard the knock on my door.

"Can we talk?" My dad asked. I shook my head yes clearing a spot for him on my bed. I shoved the failing test grades and zeros on homework into the folder.

"So I talked to your mom. She won't be coming home for another two weeks"

"Dad. I know you and mom are all about achieving dreams but this is not going to work. You definitely can't handle this on your own" I said. I was trying my hardest but I was beginning to slack in school just to help around the house and now with the news about mom. Two weeks with no mom would result in no home. It would be burned down to the ground or something.

He sighed knowing what I had said was true.

"I'll just hire help" my dad said getting the bright idea as he left my room. I shook my head. I quickly pulled the papers back out trying to finish all the late homework's and such.

I chuckled at the idea of hired help. No way would anyone in their right mind come watch 12 kids.

The next morning I had awoken to a mess. One big mess with a note on the stairs.

"Hey kids. Had to get to work. Lorraine and Kim, you're in charge of breakfast. Henry and Jake, lunches. Charlie handle drop offs. Maggie make sure everyone is dressed and cleaned up" I read out loud. Charlie was besides me pissed off.

"Okay let's do this" I said entering the mad house known as the kitchen.

Everything managed to go smoothly. The only hiccup was Lorraine, Charlie and I being late to school. We rushed into a spot.

"C'mon Charlie were gonna be late" Lorraine mentioned as the bell rang.

"Being late is the least of my problems" I said grabbing my backpack.

"Cute car seats, Baker" one of the preppy boys sneered.

"What's you're problem" I said mad. It was already a stressful morning I didn't need anymore bs.

"We had to take our little brothers to the nursery if that's okay with you" Lorraine said.

"What happened? Mommy and daddy had to go back the farm?" He asked pretending to care and be all dramatic.

"You know what? This whole "harass the hick" thing is getting pretty old" Charlie yelled as he slammed the door.

I was about to lunge at the snob but before I could Charlie beat me to it. He was face to face with the punk ass loser.

"You know what I'm just gettin started"

"Yeah?" I said pushing him. After all what was he going to do beat up a girl.

"Don't push me baker" the boy said pushing me back. It was then that Charlie got even closer.

"Don't push my sister" Charlie said pointing a finger in his face. Lorraine, however, pushed her way in between to stop a fight from happening.

"Come Charlie let it go" she said pulling me along with them.

"I hate this" I said pulling my arm from Lorraine's grip and heading to class.

I picked up the kids from school with Lorraine and Charlie. Once I got home I found yet another note that I was on dinner duty tonight.

"Great" I said.