To My Daughter

Most nineteen year olds would sob thinking that their life was over.
However I realized my life was just beginning.
I have loved you from the start.
From the first flutter of you in my womb, through the endless pain I endured over the thirty six hours it took to bring you into this wondrous world, to the first time I heard your screeching cry.
Oh how I wept when I held you, utter perfection wrapped in a tiny blanket.

I wish to give you a life unlike mine.
I shall gift you with never ending love and millions of laughs.
Unyielding protection, which means I will gladly go to war with anything and anyone who wishes ill will against you.

Looking at you now, running around barefoot in the grass collecting acorns, absolutely amazes me.
To see the world as you do would be nothing short of magnificent.
You are already so independent.
The giggles that spill from you are so infectious that anyone within range can't help but grin and laugh along with you.
Already having a stubbornness that I hope never fades.
I see you growing to become a woman with such a fierce love of life and adventure.

I already pity the strapping man, or lovely lady that puts stars in your eyes and steals your heart to keep as their own.
Prepare them with the knowledge that your mother can be crazy, inform them that I am rather fond of jumpsuits and that a prison sentence does not scare me in the slightest.
For if they snip your heartstrings or shatter your overwhelming love..
If they cause sorrow to coat your eyelashes...
They will face a wrath unlike any other.

People always tell me you are the spitting image of me, that your personality matches mine step by step.
However I think otherwise.
You are much purer than I, possessing such a innocence that I have lost within myself long ago.
I am becoming a better person slowly but surely because of you.
So I give thanks to the universe, to the cosmos, to god, to whomever it was that graced my life with you.

-A.