Chapter 8

Chase pov

"Nikki don't be silly. Of course you recognize me." I hold her hands in mine "I'm Chase" Nikki shakes her head with a guilty smile

"No, I'm sorry. I don't recognize you." She turns to the group. "I don't recognize any of you." I stood up. My legs were wobbly. I turned to Dr. Simmons

"Why doesn't she recognize us?" I ask baffled. The doc smiles in sympathy and nods his head.

"That's what I was going to tell you. You see, Nikki was in some serious pain. The bullet was stuck in her arm and she couldn't move without crying out. So we gave her some amnesia specifically for people who have been shot. It numbs her like regular amnesia but it especially numbs where she's been shot. With all that being said, it has no real bad side effects other then just making her memory a little fuzzy. But don't worry. I've never had a patient not regain their memory." Dr. Simmons smiles patting my back. "The best thing right now is to be patient. Maybe ask her little questions to try and jog up her memory." I look at Davenport as to say, What now?

"How about we leave Nikki and Chase alone? I think they need sometime to catch up." Davenport suggests. Dr. Simmons, Adam, Bree, Leo, Tasha, and Davenport soon all file out calmly leaving me and Nikki in the room alone.

I look over to Nikki to see her watching tv. It looked like she had some show about hair on. I walked over calmly taking a seat next to her bed. I would've sat on the bed but I didn't know how she will respond. I mean I wouldn't want someone I don't know on my bed watching me curiously. Which is what I was doing from my chair. How does she not remember us? Everything that's happened in practically the last year. I can't imagine not remembering anything. All our adventures or situations we were in. The ones that grew us closer as a family and a relationship. It just seems funny.
I look over to see Nikki now looking at me. I could tell something was going on in her head but I couldn't guess what. Maybe I should start a conversation.

"So-" I start but Nikki cuts me off

"I'm sorry."she apologizes. I give a confused look before chuckling

"For what?"

"Not remembering you. Or any of the others in the room. You look familiar but it's all fuzzy." So she's apologizing for having amnesia? Yep. That's my Nikki. I give a friendly smile and shake my head

"No, don't apologize. It's not your fault." I say lightly but Nikki bites her body lip and shrugs.

"I just feel bad. You looked disappointed when I said it. I didn't mean to upset you." Hearing Nikki talk so friendly and caring again reminds me of when we first started talking. I smiled to myself thinking of it. I remember it like it was yesterday. I wish she did.

"You didn't upset me. Just threw me off a little." She nods. Her face showing that she's thinking about something. Suddenly she brightens up and looks over at me.

"Maybe you can tell me some stuff about you and I can try and remember it." She says happily. I chuckle at her solution though I would've done it anyway. I smiled and nodded.

"Sure. First of all, my names Chase." I start.

"Chase." She says as if seeing if it felt or sounded familiar. "Are you my....brother?" My mind shriveled at the thought. That would mean I'm in love with my sister. Thinking of me holding Bree the way I held Nikki makes me squirm.

"No." I shoot down quickly. "Not your brother." I chuckle to lighten the mood. I must've startled her because she jumped when I answered. "Your brother lives with your aunt. I'm your boyfriend." She ponders on it for a minute.

"Okay." She accepts. " I should've figured by how you came in."

"Yeah." I chuckled. "Do you have any questions?"