Prologue

Authors Note: This takes place in the tv show Dragons Race to the Edge. It's in between season 2 and season three during that month between the season end of 2 and the episode one of season 3.

Erica Linder ran as fast as she could to her village with her brown hair flowing behind her. She could see the smoke coming up from were she was. She jumped up and grabbed the ledges and pulled herself up. Everything was on fire and her heart dropped. Everything she knew from her childhood home was gone and there was no sign of survivors, her parents and maybe even her brother where gone.

"Mom! Dad!" She waited for an answer but none came. "Anyone! Dose anyone need help?" There was still no reply.

She let out a small scream and ran away. There was nothing she could do about the fire now and if no one was living in it then she didn't need to help. She had nothing that was holding her back from leaving the dragon hunters now. Tonight she would take a dragon and fly away from them all. She whipped away the tears and headed back to the camp.

She waited until night and tried to pretend that she was fine which wasn't that hard as she didn't have to talk to anyone. She headed towards the dragons and looked in the cages for one that would help her escape until she saw a Monstrous Nightmare. She opened the cage and lead him into the open air. He didn't make a sound as he probably thought he was going to be used for one of the evil hunters uses. She mounted on his neck and moved him to take off. She could see the ocean and was about to let a sigh of relife when the dragon went nuts and fell towards the earth. She looked underneath and knew what she would find, a dragon root arrow in his hide.

They crashed into the ground. Erica looked up and saw Ryker in front of her and quickly stood up. He grabbed her by the hair and pulled her closer. "Going for a midnight flight? I think it's time I cut some of that hair of yours."

"I'd say by the look on your face you do remember the first time I punished you for escaping. But maybe cutting off your hair isn't enough to keep you in control." He indicated to her hair, which was once long and beautiful, now in was cut at uneven lengths.

Her green eyes flashed with anger. "And how do you plan to do that? I have no family you can threaten me with."

Ryker let out a laugh. "I wouldn't be so sure of that lass." He opened the door and in came two guards bringing in her brother.

"Birger? I, I thought you were dead with Mom and Dad."

He looked at her and nodded. She turned to Ryker as her brother would always talk to her. "What did you do to him?"

"Why we took him and his dragon down. Now his dragon is ours and so is he. Don't worry," he added seeing the look of horror on her face, "we'll take great care of him so long as you fall in line."

She looked back at her brother who was now looking at the floor. "Trust me I won't try to escape again." Not with his life on the line.

"Good. Take him away and you girl can get back to work."