The Storm

'Man that bomb, just. Hey this is why even the elites are freaking out!'

I was inside the shadow of intent's bridge, standing in a corner, arms crossed. My helmet was keeping away many of the elites, that along with my past in high charity. Six stayed near me also. Also inside the bridge of the Shadow of Intent. Elites and humans are gathered around a long holographic table, with ShipMaster Rtas 'Vadum floating on a gravity throne at one end with his Elite attendants, Master Chief and Thel 'Vadam in the middle, and Fleet Admiral Hood and Commander Miranda Keyes at the far side of the table. All are silent except 343 Guilty Spark, who is bobbing at the center of the table and interfacing with Cortana's memory unit with his projector beam.

"Will it live, Oracle? Can it be saved?" Rtas Vadum asked, worriedly.

"Uncertain. This storage device has suffered considerable trauma. Its matrices are...highly unstable." The large bowling ball replied glowing slightly more whenever he talked, he had not informed me of his existence, or even so much as said anything to me. The bowling ball turned off its beam and glanced at 'Vadum and Lord Hood.

"Perhaps one of our technicians-" Lord Hood started to ask but was interrupted by Rtas.

"That will not be necessary." Rtas Vadum interrupted.

"This is technology from a Fouruner, it is best if the one that has the best understanding of the thing to work on it," Beta started making me smile behind my helmet. Coincidentally, the storage device starts working again, and a holographic projection of Cortana springs up.

"Chief!" Cortana started immediately.

"Success!" 343 Guilty Spark exclaimed in between Cortana's pauses.

"High Charity, the Prophets' Holy City, is on its way to Earth. With an army of Flood. I can't tell you everything. It's not safe. The Gravemind...it knows I'm in the system." Cortana said, apparently being a message. Cortana's image flickers and stalls. The Chief turns to Rtas 'Vadum.

"It's just a message." Master Chief sais, beating Theta to the punch, him wanting to worry over the "pretty lady."

"Let it play." Rtas Vadum replied causing 343 Guilty Spark jolts the device with another beam.

"But it doesn't know about the Portal, where it leads. On the other side, there's a solution. A way to stop the Flood, without firing the remaining Halo rings-" Cortana started to say only to suddenly, light up. She clutches her head, gasps in sudden pain and collapses onto the "floor" in her hologram.

"Hurry, Chief...the Ark...there isn't much time." Cortana said, her voice so soft and filled with so much pain. Cortana's recording ends, she is left staring with desperation at the Chief.

"I'm...sorry." 343 Guilty Spark said with sorrow.

"No matter, Oracle. We've heard enough. Our fight is through the Portal, with the Brutes and the bastard Truth!" Rtas Vadum said causing the elites around the room raise their forearms and roar in agreement.

"Fine. We'll remain here. Hold out for as long as we can." Lord Hood said wearily, I could tell that he was tired and stressed by his voice.

"Did you not hear? Your world is doomed, *descends from his seat* a Flood army, a Gravemind, has you in its sights! You barely survived a small contamination." Rtas Vadum said, bringing reality to the human but he was having none of it.

"And you, Ship Master, just glassed half a continent! Maybe the Flood isn't all I should be worried about..." Lord Hood said, causing me to laugh horsley.

"One single Flood Spore can destroy a species. Were it not for the Arbiter's counsel, I would have glassed your entire planet!" Rtas Vadum rose his voice while leaning over the table. Thou I do think I had something to do with his decision. Lord Hood proceed to angrily raises his fist at Vadum, but Miranda Keyes interrupts.