16. Unbridled*

The flow of survivors rushing through the hall slowed until the last stumbled through, clutching her child to her chest. Elery stood with her companions, watching the dead run freely through the streets.

"We make for the stable to retrieve the molner then ride for Lyewryn," Elery said. "With luck this plague has not swept that far."

"And if it has?" Isandel asked.

"We will sail for Ildaugh Pass and hold hope they have strength to lend us." Elery firmed her grip on the hilt of her sword. "And on the way you shall regale us with stories of the enemy at our door." She ran through the doorway and the others followed, striking out at the corpses of soldiers and the freshly animated victims of the attack.

The air reeked of blood and fire.

Smoke rose high into the night, painting filthy smudges across the sky.

Isandel leaped and flared his wings, flapping into the sky. He grew and twisted, taking his dragon form to keep pace above them.

Elery looked up and frowned. He was not the monstrous dragon she'd faced in the cave. He was, at best, large enough to carry her upon his neck.

Waves of corpses grew thicker as they pushed further down the main road. Zethir and Taelin moved ahead, clearing the path with knife and sword while Dakkan lagged behind to cripple any that followed. Isandel cast fire down on distant foes, driving them away.

Living Bethgardel soldiers mixed among the corpses. They retreated toward the remains of the city walls. Elery caught their visage in flashes of green and gold. The armor reflected firelight as they ran.

She ached to pursue them.

Her teeth clenched tight until pain radiated through her jaw.

Cylphi put a hand on her shoulder. "Eyes ahead, Elery. Their time will come."

Her jaw relaxed and she tore her gaze from the retreating figures. The stables were only a few paces away, half-collapsed with a fire burning in the far corner.

"Ishthemir!" Elery pushed between Taelin and Zethir and ran to the stable, covering her mouth with her arm. Smoke blew against her face as the fire spread across the roof.

A beam creaked and buckled, sending smoldering hay into the air.

Ishthemir beat against the the gate of his stall with his front hooves and screeched. A dozen other stalls were also occupied by molner of various breeds and color. Some were slumped over their gates, unconscious or dead.

"Cylphi, saddles!" Elery cried.

"It's too late, we must to get them out!" She rushed to the gate and pulled it open, releasing Ishthemir first. She then opened the rest, setting free all of the still-living molner.

The mounts shrieked and ran for the entrance. Elery gripped Ishthemir's nape feathers and leaped onto his back. "Get on, quickly! Don't let them escape!"

Cylphi and Taelin caught two and mounted as the rest escaped. Zethir grasped Taelin's hand and pulled himself up to share the molner.

The steeds hardly gave them a moment to get their grip before dashing out. They leaped the fiery remains of lantern posts toppled across the path on their way to the city entrance. Isandel swooped down and landed behind them, allowing Dakkan to leap atop his back.

Flames licked Elery's cheek as they passed a collapsed home and she ducked her head, struggling to stay atop the sleek feathered steed in its mad dash for safety.

Death and smoke clung heavy to their skin as they rode through the gate and cleared city.

Isandel galloped beside them with Dakkan upon his back. He turned his head to look at Elery. "I have no shortage of saddles and reins in my nest."