Chapter 2: Memories

I'm hiding behind a table in the lab, watching as Fury is pushed out of the way by Agent Barton. Guns fire as the man who appeared from space only seconds ago shoots more blue blasts from his spear. The sharp point stabs a security guard. He screams out in agony. I curl up into a ball trying to remain hidden, feeling sick from fear. I know how to defend myself but my basic fighting skills would mean nothing against a mad man with a wand. 

I scan the room. Fury is down next to the Tesseract. He motions at me to stay hidden and I nod in response. Terrified that my panic will give me away, I try to slow my breathing. The firing has stopped. I peer round the table, careful not to be seen. The man stands, ready to shoot, and glares around the room, now destroyed by the explosions from the fight. Suddenly Barton stands up and attempts to punch the man, but he is too fast and grabs Barton's arm instead. He struggles against the strong grip. I know I have to help but before I can even think about moving, the man points his spear at Barton's chest. I hold back a yelp, thinking he's going to stab him, but instead the man simply touches Barton's chest. Blue energy crawls along the spear and into Barton. His eyes cloud over with darkness before changing to the same blue colour as the Tesseract. The man smiles then walks away. Barton remains standing submissively. I think the spear was used to manipulate his mind or control him in someway. The thought makes me shudder. The man prowls around the room, doing the same to those who remain. Their minds are taken over with little effort. I hold in a breath as the man stalks past me. My body hasn't stopped shaking. Focus Katy, you will be ok. I notice Fury has taken the Tesseract and put it in a case. Then, for some reason, he gets up and heads for the exit as if he'll be allowed to leave. Unsurprisingly, he doesn't get very far before the man notices. I really don't think that was the smartest plan. 

'Please don't. I still need that.' The man purrs, his voice soft yet menacing. 

Fury turn towards him. 'This doesn't have to get any messier.' He replies. 

'Of course it does. I've come too far for anything else. I am Loki of Asgard and I am burdened with glorious purpose...'

'Loki? Brother of Thor?' Selvig interrupts, beginning to stand up.

I sit, listening in my hiding spot, trying to hold back a laugh at how irritated the man, Loki, looks. How does Selvig know Loki's brother? I don't ponder the thought for too long; this conversation may have given me an opportunity to slip away. If I am going to escape, now's my chance. I quickly crawl towards the door, careful not to make a sound. 

As I move, Loki takes over Selvig. I try to swallow my fear. He definitely has them mind controlled. I have to move quickly. It won't be long until someone remembers I'm here. I can hear Fury talking again as I slowly crawl past the group. He's interrupted by Barton.

'Sir, Director Fury is stalling. This place is about to blow.' 

Everyone begins to move, blocking the exit. I quickly dart behind the table. I take a breath. My only option is to run. A gunshot and Fury on the floor next to me, alive but unmoving. The briefcase has been knocked out of his hand. I know what I have to do. I stand up and I run. As I head for the door, I grab the case in one swift move. My eyes are fixated on my only chance of freedom. I can almost touch it, but suddenly I'm whisked back, dropping the case. I struggle, trying to wrestle my way out, but my arms are pinned back. I glare up and realise it's Barton. I don't stop struggling against him as he drags me towards Loki and the others. 

'Who's this?' Loki asks as he stares at me curiously. 

'Katherine Stark.' Barton replies as I continue to wrestle against him. He doesn't let go. I glare at Loki, lost for words and unsure of what else I can do. I'm just praying that Loki doesn't use the spear on me.