Chapter 5: Manipulative Madness

I stare at my reflection in the bathroom mirror as I slowly dry my hair with a towel. The motion is lifeless. Every move I make is lifeless. Dad hasn't said anything to me since the forrest fight. I haven't said anything either. I just went to a room to shower and change. I don't know if its exhaustion or I'm just overwhelmed but right now all I want to do is cry. The mirror has fogged over from the steam but I can still see two hazel eyes staring back at me. My wet hair hangs slightly waved but still reaching my waist. My body is straight and skinny; still a child's body, not yet developed. There's a small scar just above my right eye from where I hit my head. The wound  healed a lot quicker than I expected. I never really thought I looked like my dad but, right now, the young girl staring back at me looks more like him than ever. The hair is the same thickness and colour, the face resembles his. The eyes, despite their green flecks, hold the same inquisitive look. She's short in stature but can carry herself tall, in the Stark way. 

I never knew my mother, she gave me up when I was born. Dad said she worked in London so I always knew she wouldn't visit me. He never spoke of her. I only have one picture. In it the woman laughs with a drink in her hand, wearing a purple dress, white teeth showing, bright green eyes and perfect blonde hair. Her features are sharp, her shoulders muscular. She looks like a beautiful warrior. As a child, I liked to think she had her own happy family, it made it easier to move on. I forgave the women ages ago, when I realised hating her would bring only pain. 

I put on the black trousers and top that's been left out. It's a little loose but it will do. I have two choices: wallow in self pity or pull myself together and use my knowledge of Loki to help SHIELD. As much as I could do the first, my duty here isn't finished. My dad may not like it but I was recruited to work on the Tesseract, and I know that's what I have to do. 

'Confidence Katy. You can do this.' I smile at my reflection, stand up straight and reassure myself that everything will be fine as I exit the bathroom and look for the control bridge. The helicarrier, however, is like a maze and it takes ages to find it. I receive a few stares from people as I wander around but I ignore them. Finally, I find the bridge. I stop outside the door. Maybe I shouldn't go in. Dad is already mad enough at me and I don't want to make it worse. I hesitate about what to do but then I hear Loki's voice threatening Fury over a speaker. His voice sends a chill through my body. It's soothing yet manipulative and that makes me hate him even more. The sound cuts out and I hear voices discussing Loki. I know I have information that could help. I know I could be useful regardless of what my dad thinks. I hear Thor's distinct voice talking about Loki bringing an army from space. That makes up my mind. I enter. 

'So he's building a portal?' A man who I haven't met yet asks. I recognise him though. 

'That's why he needs Dr. Selvig.' I blurt. Eyes snap to me and it makes me uncomfortable. 'To build the portal. That's what the Tesseract is for.' 

'Selvig?' Thor asks.

'He's an astrophysicist.' 

'He's a friend'. 

My mind flashes back to Loki's arrival. Of course. Selvig mentioned Loki's brother. 

'I want to know why Loki let us take him. He's not leading an army from here.' Steve asks. Finally a real question. 

'Loki wanted me in Germany with him. We were the distraction. I think he knew you would come. He wanted to be taken and he wanted me here too. Loki's planned this through.' I say, starting to feel a bit more confident. Maybe it's because dad's not here to interrupt me. 

'I don't think we should be focusing on Loki. That guy's brain is a bag full of cats.' The nervous guy says. I disagree and clearly Thor does too.