chapter 9

It was now Tuesday, uncle Lucas and aunt Carol had arrived and Ana, Fabio's soulfinder, was meant to arrive back from a business trip. I wanted to tell them when they were all together about my soulfinder. Oh Zayden, how could've I been so blind? this funny and caring side of his was so attractive in so many ways. He brought me flowers through my backdoor, very sneakily. I stayed at his house when his parents were gone, just to do nothing and talk. And we sneaked out of class often to – you know. I wasn't the type to skip class or to break the rules for that matter, but he let me show my rebellious side, and I quite liked it. Every day we know more and more about each other. I found out he was a big videogame fan and I'm ashamed to say that when he invited me to play, I fit right in with the girls-can't-play-videogames or girls-suck-at-videogames stereotype. i didn't even own a console because of lack of money. Gosh I watched him get too deep into the game, he was non-responsive, such a nerd. My nerd.

This situation still bothered me, I let my prejudice rule me. I thought Zayden was this mean, arrogant, and proud guy, but I forgot to flip the coin to see the other side. I forgot that all geodes have crystals inside. But also, his pride led him to believe that he was superior or better. That in this scholar hierarchy he was at the top and I at the bottom. This truly felt like Pride and Prejudice the movie but with savants and high school drama.

At the back of my head I hold a nuisance, that if my gift hadn't gone out of control at the supermarket and at the school cafeteria, Zayden and I might have never known we were savants and worse, soulfinders. That's just the what if feeling that gives me anxiety, that makes me toss and turn in my bed.

'watssup, babe.' Came Zayden from behind me with a huge smile and wrapped his lengthy arm around my shoulders.

'nothing much' he bent down and nibbled my nose with his, such a cliché.

'I was thinking if I could walk you home...' his smile turned to a mischievous grin. '...after we go to the mall and hang out'

'that sounds like a great idea, let me tell my parents I'll arrive a little late.' with a little telepathy magic, momma was informed.

'great. Still can't get used to this. Its so weird seeing somebody who I saw as normal go and do savant stuff' we rounded the corner from the school and waited for the pedestrian light to turn green.

'well, you'll have a whole lifetime to get used to it.' I was starting to get more comfortable being open with him and speak out my mind. We crossed the street and made our way three blocks down to reach the mall.

No, no, I think he was coming today.

What a way to ruin the moment, gift. I saw a man on the phone in his car, must have been him. When I finished getting a hold of my gift, I saw Zayden looking at me funny.

'what?'

'nothing, I just felt a slight wave of energy' still with that curious look.

'I don't think I have told you this, Zay, but my gift is more like a curse'

'why is that?' one of his eyebrows rose in curiosity.

'well, my gift is uncontrollable eavesdropping. I can use it and control it but sometimes it just shoots out.' I gave a sigh of annoyance. I looked back at him, he was amused but also not surprised

'my gift,' he accentuated the "my" 'is a curse.' He sounded so sure, I wondered what it was.

'tell me.'

'you see, my emotions aren't always based on what I feel, its more how others feel around me.' He saw my lost expression 'for example, if I'm in a room where most people or the predominant emotion is sadness, I'll feel the same.' I guess that explained a lot of things

'oh,' I didn't know how to react. The only rubbish gift I knew was mine, I didn't want to be rude and say how his gift was weird. I didn't care anyways he was my beloved and I couldn't accept him more. 'at least we have each other to share the burden.'

'but both our gifts have their uses, like yours, useful in police investigations. And mine to know how you are feeling.' He gave a little unconscious smile.