Classroom

Being a woman in the field of criminology is never easy. Especially, when every other word used in some of our classes is concerned a 'trigger' word. Whenever one of these words is spoken the women are asked and expected to leave the room. I'm not sure why, since these words are part of everyday life for an agent. But the bureau doesn't think that a woman should be in the room when these things are being discussed. As you can imagine, being in the sexual crimes courses offered by the bureau, this means I spend the majority of my time in the halls. This has happened so much one of my professor had talked with me about 'missing' too much class time. Which lead to the events of this afternoon.

"Now the investigating agents believed that the suspects to have gangbanged the victim before dumping his body in the river." Professor Smith is in front of the class, standing in front of a projector showing a man who had been found in the river during the case being discussed. Once Professor Smith says 'gangbang' he pauses for a moment and looks to me, "Miss Freeman?"

"Yes, Professor?" I look up from my notes and to Professor Smith.

"Do you wish to step out?"

"No," I shake my head and place my hands on my notebook with my fingers intertwined. "Why?"

"Miss Freeman, you know the rules."

"Yes, I do. I know them better than anyone. However, did you or did you not talk with me just the other day about missing too much class time?" I stand and step around the tables we have set up in the room.

"I did, however, these rules are in place to help keep you a decent woman."

"But I cannot be a good agent if I keep missing class."

"Miss Freeman..."

As Professor Smith begins to speak, a man in the back of the room speaks up, "let her stay. What harm can really be done from a couple of indecent words?"

"Agent Ford, I know this is the progressive new way of thinking. But the bureau does not support this way of thinking."

"One class and I'm sure she'll want to leave every time she hears one of those words from here on out." The man looks over to me. "After all these words don't agree with a woman's delicate state of mind."

"Very well, Agent Ford. Miss Freeman, you are welcome to leave anytime you wish."

I nod and sit back down, before glancing back to the man at the back of the room. He isn't a student, I believe he is here to audit the class. The man nods to me with a slight smile before I look back toward the front. When class lets out, Professor Smith is less than thrilled that I stayed for the rest of the class. That had been my last class of the evening so I wasn't in a hurry as I walk around the bureau. "Miss Freeman?"

"Yes?" I turn and see the man who was at the back of the class walking after me, "can I help you, Agent Ford?"

"Yes, actually. I wanted to talk to you about what happened in class today."

I sigh and shake my head, as I turn and continue down the hall, "I know, I should have left. I wish I could say it won't happen again, but uhh... it will."

"That's not what I was talking about." Ford shakes his head as he chases after me. "Maybe I should introduce myself. Holden Ford, I'm with the Criminal Psychology and Profiling unit here at the bureau."

"I wasn't aware we had a Psychology or Profiling unit."

"Well, we just got started." Ford clears his throat, "that's what I wanted to talk to you about. I was hoping you'd be interested in joining our unit and helping us get some footing."

"Why? I'm a woman, we're delicate."

"Come on, I only said that so a traditionalist like Smith would let you stay. I want you to join the unit because you are quite the opposite."

I think for a moment, "I'll think about it."

"Great." Ford smiles. "I'll see you later then. If you decide to join us, we are in the basement of the bureau." He extends a hand.

"Thank you, Agent Ford." I take his hand and he gently shakes it.

"Holden, please, if we are going to be colleagues."

"Goodbye, Agent Ford." I chuckle as I walk away.