Benjamin Barnwright

After about a week Ocasek calls to inform us that Beverly Jean's fiance, Benjamin is back in town, and of course, we waste no time heading back up to Altoona. We meet Ocasek at the station before heading to Benjamin's house. Ocasek driving us, Tench in the passenger seat, with Ford and I in the back seat. "So, can you tell us a little bit about this guy before we get there?" Ford looks over to Ocasek.

Ocasek nods, "well, his given name is Benjamin Barnwright, but everyone calls him Benji. Came back to town, just like I told you he would."

"We didn't doubt he would," I shrug, "it's just a little unconvention to let the fiance of someone who's just been murdered leave town before the investigation is complete."

Ford nods, "Benji was home watching TV the night Beverly Jean was killed?"

"That's what he told us and I believe him," Ocasek looks to Ford in the rearview mirror. "He let us search his car, no warrant. We didn't find a thing except for some of Beverly Jean's hair, but in the passenger seat, like you'd expect it."

I shake my head, "because the car probably wasn't the right place to look. My bet is we need to look in the basement of his house, if we can get the warrant to do so."

Tench looks out the window, "passenger seat isn't the best way to transport a corpse, I'll give you that. But you said he was home alone watching TV?" Tench scoffs, "that's not much of an alibi."

"Why?" Ocasek glances over to Tench.

"Because if he was alone no one can confirm his story," I shake my head, "just because a TV is on, doesn't mean you're watching it."

"Isn't that what most people do every night of the week? Benjamin is definitely most people. He's worked the same job ever since High School, bagging groceries at the A&P."

"He works at the A&P?" Tench looks over to Ocasek, "does he have access to a delivery vehicle?"

"Nope, only works the floor." Ocasek shrugs. I look over to Ford, who nods and places a hand on mine. I have a strange feeling about this guy, I don't know why, I just do.

We pull up to Benjamin's house and get out of the car, looking around. It's a nice neighborhood, houses with backyards and cars parked along the street. As we get out of the car, Benjamin comes out of the house and waits for us on the front porch, waving rather awkwardly to us. Ocasek waves back as Ford keeps his eyes on Benjamin, "was he expecting us?"

"He's in mourning, I thought it'd be polite to let him know we were coming."

I scoff, "well, there goes the cold read of him."

Tench closes his door, "we should've brought a six pack."

We walk up to the porch, Ocasek being the first to meet Benjamin, "hey, Benji."

Benjamin nods, "please come in." Benjamin turns and opens the screen door for us as we all walk in, "please, take a seat. Can I get you some coffee?"

"Sure," Ocasek nods as we all take a seat.

"It's instant," Benjamin warns.

Tench shakes his head, "none for me thanks."

"Ma'am?"

I shake my head, "no, thank you. I'm not a big coffee drinker."

Benjamin glances over to Ford, "I'll wait."

Benjamin walks back into the living room, from his place in the hall, "I got some donuts, too. half glazed, half cake." He gestures to the box on the table, before sitting down in an armchair.