Deborah Mitford

I don't wake up until almost ten the next morning. I normally sleep in on Saturdays, my body catching up on the sleep I haven't gotten that week. When I am finally awake and after my tea, I pull out my yoga mat and do a quick and easy morning workout. On Saturdays I don't normally do anything too hard, just enough so I can say I worked out today. Once I am done, I take a long, hot shower. The cold Virginia winter latching onto my fingers and toes. It feels nice to have them defrosted. After my shower I head to my kitchen for a second time that morning and make a quick, easy and small lunch, it being almost noon by the time I get around. Not bad for a Saturday morning, if I do say so myself. As I eat I turn on the television and watch a bit of news, there doesn't seem to be much of note.

Before I know it, it's almost three o'clock and I decide I should start getting ready. I go through a handful of outfits in my closet, the first thing I try is a light blue, strapless, pinstriped dress. I shake my head, "too summery." The next thing I try is a yellow jumpsuit with a white jacket, "why do I even own this?" I quickly change, this time into a black turtle neck and skirt, with knee high heeled boots, "this looks cute, but I feel like I've seen it somewhere before." I think for a moment, as I mess with my hair, before realizing Ive seen Carr wear the same thing. I shake my head, not wanting to take the chance of wearing the same thing as Carr, I change again.

I put my robe back on and look over my closet of work clothes and clothes I haven't looked at in months. Some of which I don't think I've worn since High School, "I've gotta get rid of some of this stuff." I sigh, looking through some dresses and then I came across a red, long sleeved dress, with lace across the top. I pull the dress out of the closet and look over it, it is about knee length, not tight or low cut. It's perfect. Maybe a little bold, but I need to break out of my shell.

I get changed and head into my bathroom, looking in the mirror and thinking about what to do with my hair. Even though I thought and thought last night, I didn't come up with anything. "Well, if I'm going bold with my dress, why not my hair and makeup too?" I shrug and start curling my hair, letting the curls hang down over my right shoulders, "God, I hope these stay." I finish my hair and then move on to my makeup, putting on red lipstick and cat eye with my liner, looking a bit like Sophie Loren. Once I finish, I realize it is almost time to go. I take one last look before grabbing my coat and heading to the restaurant Ford had told us to meet at.

When I arrive at the restaurant, I find Ford and a young woman waiting at the table. The young woman, who I assume is Debbie, looks over to me and speaks to Ford, "well, someone is bold."

Ford turns and smiles, looking me up and down, "Nancy, hi." He stands and greets me with a hug as the smile is wiped from Debbie's face, as if she expected someone else, "you look great."

I smile, "thank you."

"Nancy, this is my girlfriend Debbie. Debbie this is Special Agent Nancy Freeman."

"Wow, that's a mouth full," Debbie straightens up.

I shrug, "most people just call me Nance."

"Sounds good." Debbie nods, "Deborah Mitford." Debbie extends a hand and I shake it.

"Are we still waiting on Wendy?" I shake walking around the table, hanging my purse and coat on the back of a chair before ordering a red wine.

"Uh... yes," Ford nods, "but the rest of us are a little early so..."

Ford is in a suit, which I wish I could say was surprising. Debbie is almost just as I imagined her, from what little I know. Her hair is long, straight and brown. She is wearing a tee shirt and jeans. Tench was right, she is definitely young in body, soul and mind. But maybe that'll be a good thing for Ford, get him to loosen up a bit.

"So, tell me about this Dr. Carr." Debbie looks over to me as I sit down across from Ford, "Holden here wouldn't tell me a thing about either of you." She looks over to the door and sees an older woman walk in, "is that her?"

I shake my head, "no, Wendy is more..."

"The two of you have had Holden nervous since we got here," Debbie looks over to Ford, "and from Nancy here I can see why. Should I be jealous?" 

Ford shakes his head, "would I have invited them to go out with us is I was interested in them?"

"I've seen men do stranger things."

I nod, taking a sip of my wine, "mhmm.... so have I. You never know these days."

Ford glances over to me, "not helping."

Debbie chuckles, "so she's married? Dr. Wendy?"

"How does that follow?"

I chuckle, "Holden, let me give you a bit of advice, don't question how it flows or follows, just go with it."

Debbie nods, "if you're not interested, she must be married." She leans forward, "for a man who picks up strange women in bars, you have your scruples."

She and Ford share a kiss, as I look away, awkwardly, "thank you." Ford mumbles, before the two share another kiss. "I don't think she's married. Is she?" Ford looks over to me.

I shrug, taking a deep breath, "don't know, havent asked."

Debbie looks over to the door again, "that's her."

Ford chuckles, "no." He looks down, messing with Debbie's hand from what I can see, "do you plan on getting married? Having kids, the whole thing?"

"Are you proposing, Holden Ford?"

"Just curious. Your parents have a good marriage?"

"I have no idea." Debbie shakes her head, "where's this coming from?"

"The study. We're talking a lot about parents. Harsh mothers, absent fathers."

Debbie reaches for her drink, that is on the table, "all fathers are absent fathers."

I chuckle, taking another sip of wine, having almost finished it during Ford and Debbie's display, "he's trying to make sure you're not going to turn into a crazed killer."

"That's definitely her." Debbie gestures toward the door.

"No." Ford shakes his head.

I look over and see Carr, "Wendy," I smile, thanking the Lord I don't have to be in an awkward love bird situation alone again.

"Hello," Carr smiles, placing her bag on the back of the chair, before extending a hand toward Debbie, "Wendy Carr."

"Deborah Mitford." Debbie shakes Carr's hand.

"It's a pleasure. Thank you so much for the invitation. It was unexpected, but appreciated." Carr takes off her coat and places it on the back of her chair as well.

"Yeah, for a fed, he's not so bad at having a good time." Debbie looks over to Ford.

"Are you also in Law Enforcement?"

"No, I'm doing postgrad, actually. Sociology at UVA."

"What's your concentration?"

"Social deviance."

Carr and I look over to each other and smile, Carr looks back to Debbie, "so... Durkheim?"

"Yes."

"Oh, God." Ford shakes his head, realizing we've found a bonding point. "Just because I didn't know who Durkheim was..."

"Or Goring, or Blumer."

"It's fine. I'm not intimidated being around women who are smarter than me."

I chuckle, "good, cuz, you've got three of us, so you'd better get used to it." I smile over to Ford, finishing off my glass of wine.

Carr shakes her head, "men say that, but they rarely mean it."

Debbie nods, "Holden means it. He has a lot of flaws, but surprisingly, that's not one of them."