Chapter 1

The air was hot and humid, signalling the upcoming summer storm. Dark clouds loomed over the territory, reflecting the sombre mood that was cast on everyone's faces.

I stood in front of my dresser, fixing my ink-black dress, preparing myself for what needed to be done. My reflection was a mess- puffy red eyes, flushed cheeks and red nose. I looked more like a clown than myself.

Taking in a deep breath, I walked over to the door and opened it, stepping out of the bubble I had been wallowing in for the past week.

Kaelon was waiting for me, standing tall in his dark clothes. He pulled me to him, quickly comforting me before guiding me down the stairs. While my ankle was close to being fully healed, he still took precautions.

Much has happened since the war ended. It was just a week ago, but sometimes it felt longer.

The bodies of the dead had been gathered and burned, and a list of names had been prepared for today's ceremony. Keyan left our territory soon after, taking his dead with him.

Dorian and a handful of his surviving warriors were locked in our cells and a message had been sent to Nublius.

They had agreed to come to collect their dead and pay us what we demanded for safe entry into our territory. They'll arrive in a few days.

"Ready?" Kaelon asked, standing by the front door.

I took in a deep breath, exhausted from crying. "Yes," I replied, uncertainty in my tone.

Pulling me to him, he wrapped his arms around my waist before opening the front door and stepping out into the parade of wolves walking past us in black.

We all stayed silent as we travelled to the East tribe- or what's left of it.

Most of our casualties came from there, killed before any help arrived- before the rest of us knew what was happening.

Whole families were slaughtered, pups barely a few years old weren't shown mercy as they were killed in their cribs and playrooms.

One of which, I knew well.

Zazel.

Her body was found along with her parents in her baby brother's bedroom. All four of them, gone.

When the Edrik told me the news, I just froze, blocking out the pain, pretending I was okay and lying to myself.

It wasn't until that night, that the pain crushed me. Even Kaelon couldn't take it away.

Anneli.

Zazel.

I should count myself lucky that Jase, Irina, Edrik, Zoron and Kaelon weren't on that list, but I can't, because how can you feel lucky in the face of death?

We continued our silent journey until we all reached the east river. A crowd had already gathered, sobs filled the air and the scent of freshly cut flowers waffled around the area.

A large boulder had been sanded down so that the top of it was smooth. The names of the fallen were carved onto it- a memorial decided to those who died on that day.

I couldn't look at it, no matter how beautifully it shimmered against the pockets of sunlight, shining through the dark clouds. Instead, I stared blankly into the glistening river.

Jase stood next to me with his head down, holding flowers he had brought with him. I felt his hand softly lace into mine, squeezing my hand, trying to comfort both of us. I took in a deep breath before biting my lips to stop myself from crying.