Chapter 2

"As someone who wants the best for you and Kaelon, I strongly suggest that you consider stepping down from your position, just like Alina had done for Zoron, and commit yourself to being Kaelon's second half. It'll give the wolves around you confidence that you really want to be our Luna. Please, Edrei, consider it."

Snap! Snap!

"Are you going to eat that or just stare blankly at me?" Irina asked, pulling me from my daydream.

My fingers flew to my purple gemstone necklace, grasping it and rolling it around as I thought about what Mae had said to me a week ago.

Being in the common room had brought back memories I hadn't fully dealt with. I had locked them away while I grieved for Anneli and Zazel, unable to take everything at once.

Irina had convinced me to go downstairs and get lunch with her, and while I prepared myself for the glances that people were giving me, I didn't anticipate for my own emotions and the memories that resurfaced.

Mae had asked me to consider stepping down from my position. She had suggested it was the best thing for me to do to move forward. Perhaps she was right judging by the side glances stemming from those sitting around us.

The common room wasn't packed, but it was still unusually busy for this time of day. Odd, considering nothing was happening- or at least nothing that I was aware of.

"Edrei?" Irina asked, waving her hand at my face.

I blinked, snapping myself out of my thoughts. "Sorry," I apologised before pushing my plate towards her. "You can have it if you want, I'm not really hungry."

Irina put her fork down, looking around before sighing. "We can walk to my house if you want. I didn't think there was going to be so many people here," she whispered.

I shook my head. "No, that's okay. We're already here so I might as well tough it out." I looked around, counting the wolves sitting around us. "Is there something happening that I'm not aware of?"

Irina shrugged her shoulders. "If there is, I didn't get the memo." She turned around, glaring at the wolves around us. "Nosey bitches," she mumbled, barely audible.

My eyes flickered around the room again, starting to feel self-conscious. "Can you promise me you'll answer my next question truthfully?"

Irina pressed her lips in a line before hesitantly nodding.

"Are people really blaming me for what happened?"

Her eyes flickered around, trying to find the right words. "You have to understand that I haven't been actively listening to all of that, but I think the pack is divided. Some do, some don't and it seems like those who do blame you are just trying to pin the blame on anyone and anything. But..."

"But what?"

Irina shook her head. "Forget it, it's not that important."

"No, tell me."

She pressed her lips in a line, hesitating. She took in a deep breath before opening her mouth. "It's just that when Theo questioned your suitability as Commander and as... you know, Luna..." she paused before playing with the edge of the table. "Umm... you might want to talk to Alpha Kaelon and the Commanders about what's going on there because, to be honest, I think that's becoming a much bigger issue."

I sighed, running my hands through my hair. "And you said it wasn't important," I replied sarcastically.

Irina smiled, sympathy in her eyes. "You would've eventually found out... oh wait," she looked around the room before getting up and grabbing my hand. "I just realised why there are so many people here."