Chapter 5

I pushed myself up, feet talking me towards the two men. Without thinking, I grabbed the piece of paper, snatching it from Edrik's hand.

My eyes flickered from left to right, taking in the words written. My heart was beating slowly against my ribs as I processed the words.

The letter said that Arctos was having a celebration to commemorate the defeat of Nublius and they wanted me to be their guest of honour.

Guest of honour?

My mouth slightly parted, shocked they didn't blame me for their high death toll as well. I couldn't believe that Arctos was grateful, a pack that has never laid eyes on me were opening their arms and hosting a celebration in honour of me!

I didn't know how to feel about it, but betrayal was prevalent. It had felt like a knife had shredded my soul knowing that my own pack hated me and that another, one that I've never stepped foot in, were embracing me in with open arms.

I felt conflicted and guilty for wanting to go, for wanting to run to this pack to get away from all the cold, hard eyes everyone was giving me.

Edrik took the paper out of my hands, eyes a little wide. "I'll go and pass on the message to Kaelon," he said before I stopped him.

"No, I'll do it," I replied. "The message mentions me, so either way, Kaelon and I will need to talk about it."

Hesitating, Edrik handed me the paper before nodding.

Quickly, I excused myself and walked up the stairs, trying to locate my mate. I walked into the common room, seeing if he was where we had last seen each other. Nope. I then peaked into the kitchen before making a beeline straight into the study.

I opened the door, walking inside before skidding to a stop. My eyes flickered to Sascha and Kaelon. They were standing on opposite ends of Kaelon's desk, both red with anger.

Their eyes snapped to me, one murderous and the other furious. I stayed still, shock holding me in place. There was no doubt that both of them were on the verge of losing it.

Kaelon stepped away from the table, barging towards me. He grabbed my arm, grip securely holding onto me. He moved me slightly behind him as he glared at Sascha.

Staying on alert, I watched as her nostrils flared up. The sound of her heavy breathing echoed through the tense silence.

"I fucking hate you!" She screamed she storming up to us. Kaelon pushed me away before he grabbed Sascha. "I fucking hate you," she screamed again as her arms flailed around, trying to hit his chest.

Kaelon's grip tightened on her causing her to softly whimper. "Get out," he ordered, voice low, menacing and deadly.

Sascha stilled, eyes brimmed with tears as she looked up at my mate. She growled lowly before snatching herself out of his grasp.

She turned to me, eyes still murderous. Although she didn't vocalise anything, I got what she had to say through the way she glared at me.

This, whatever it was, was not over.

Sascha slammed the door closed as she stormed out of the study, taking away most of the tension inside the room with her.

I looked at Kaelon, trying to figure out what had happened. He turned to me, reaching out and pulling me into him.

"I'm going to punish her," he said as he held me tight, burying his head into the crook of my neck. I softly rubbed his back as he tried to calm himself down.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to know what had happened between the two of them. I already had enough on my plate and it seemed like Kaelon was handling it fine.