Chapter 3

"Are you sure you still want to sit in on these meetings?" Alina asked, handing me a cup of tea.

I took it from her gratefully, setting it down in front of me. Alina lifted herself up, sitting down on the corner of the table, sipping on her water.

We were taking a small break from the meetings, trying to refuel and recuperate. It was emotionally taxing, especially when all you hear is how you failed as a person.

My body was fully numbed, desensitised to what people have been saying. After a while, it stops packing as much punch, but it still hurt.

While I thought the meetings would be more about my role in the war, it seems like if it was slowly starting to shift into something else. People were bringing up my heat more often than I would have liked, courtesy to Sascha.

Kaelon and the others have tried their best to stop them from approaching that subject, but they always manage to sneak in a little comment here and there.

What started as an emotion-fuelled blame game was slowly turning into an analysis of my ability to successfully be Orion's Luna.

"I didn't realise so many people were concerned about when I would enter my next heat. I can't help but feel like I'm being used as a breeder."

Alina scoffed. "Tell me about it. I can't believe you haven't walked out already. I know I would have done that ages ago."

I ran a hand through my hair. "Believe me, I want to, but you know how it is, I can't give them another weakness to add to their list."

Alina grabbed my hand. "I haven't known you for that long, so it might be a little inappropriate for me to say this, but you'll get through this. The pack will change their minds just like how they suddenly changed their minds with Sascha."

I softly squeezed her hands, letting her know I appreciated her kind words.

Kaelon, Zoron and Edrik came in a few minutes later, each holding two plates of food. Alina turned to them, pushing herself off the table before walking to Zoron and taking a plate off him.

Putting the plates down in front of me, Kaelon walked to the side of the room before dragging a chair up beside me.

He sat down, taking my hands into his. "How are you feeling?" he asked, violet eyes swirling with concern. "You don't have to do this."

I took in a deep breath. "I'm fine, just a little exhausted."

"I'm sorry," he apologised as he brushed my cheeks with his hand. "I'm sorry this is all happening right now."

"It's not your fault," I replied. "It seems to only be mine."

Kaelon pressed his lips together. "I don't know why the blame is being put on you. I had expected this to happen- it's natural to feel emotional and want answers after a war, but the way they have everything pinned on you is unfair and I don't know how to stop it without becoming a tyrant."

"To be honest, Kaelon, I don't really think this is about the war so much as it is about my ability to conceive and birth you a child. In a way, I understand why they're questioning it, but I'm also so confused. They don't want me to be Orion's Luna because of my role in the war, but instead of just saying that they're making it seem like I'm completely useless in giving you a child because 'I wEnT tHrOuGh My HeAt'," I mocked.

Kaelon pulled me to him before sighing. I knew he wanted to do more to help me, but he was powerless. He may be the Alpha- the leader, but when it comes to the pack as a whole, he is just a servant.

Without the pack, there wouldn't be a role for him. He needs to please Orion as much as lead them in the right direction and keep them safe.

I understood where he was coming from. His hands were bound and he needed to keep the peace, or Orion would turn against him too.