Chapter 9

It took us a week to settle down and get used to the cold and harsh winds of Arctos. I was trying my hardest to adjust to life out here but it was difficult.

I had never been this cold my entire life. Keyan said it would take some time for me to grow a thicker coat- a few weeks at most, and there was nothing anyone could do other than bundle me up in layers and layers of clothing.

Edrik was also having a hard time adjusting, but I have a feeling he was doing a lot better than me since Ru-Xu was by his side.

Looking at the two of them made me a little jealous. They had it easy. There was no external pressure, no eyes judging their every move.

If it wasn't for Keyan, I don't think I would've been able to handle it. He had been my rock over the past few nights when things got really bad and my thoughts overtook me.

"Let's go and cook," Keyan had said when he found me in the middle of the night, huddled in a corner with tears rolling down my face.

His proposal had distracted my thoughts for a second. Perhaps that was his plan.

Standing up and wiping those pathetic droplets off my face, I went to him. A distraction is something I could use right now.

The two of us ended up cooking a small breakfast, eating it, then moving to the couches and talking about nothing and everything until I fell asleep on his shoulder.

By the time I woke up, I was in my bed and the sun was slowly setting. I looked around the room, huffing at the fact I had missed out on a whole day.

While I wanted to get up, I didn't see the point. Flipping myself around, I got into a comfortable position and closed my eyes again, trying my hardest to go back to sleep.

I woke up again in the middle of night, feeling fully rested. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep anymore even if I tried. Perhaps I should've gotten up before.

Feeling like I needed to work out, I pushed myself out of bed and quickly got ready for the frozen winds outside.

The packhouse was completely silent and dark by the time I exited my room. Feeling like I was a teenager sneaking out of the house again, I tip toed my way around.

When I got up to the ground floor, I realised I wasn't the only one awake. Keyan was here too, busy in thought as he read through the papers in front of him. He looked up, eyes landing on me before he raised an eyebrow.

"I wouldn't recommend going out right now," he said. "There's a snow storm outside. So we'll be stuck inside for a while"

I turned to the window, seeing it fully covered in snow. No wonder why inside was so dark. It seems like the building has been buried by snow.

"Oh, that's why it's so dark," I commented, walking towards the window, trying to see if I could see anything beyond the snow covering it.

"Should we be worried about the snow burying us?" I asked, pressing my lips together anxiously.

"It's fine. There are multiple exits and entrances we can use if the building becomes unsafe, but right now the safest thing the two of us can do right now is stay put," he explained. 

I turned to Keyan, processing what he had said. "The two of us? Where'd everyone else go?"

"We knew there was a storm coming so everyone left and went home. Edrik was with Ru-Xi, so I assume he's at her house. And I wasn't going to leave you here alone. "

"You should've woken me up," I replied, looking at him.

Keyan gave my a face. "Don't think I don't know you haven't had a good sleep in a while, Edrei. There was no way I was waking you up. You need rest."