Chapter 10

Keyan and I have made regular visits to the frozen lake, adding skating to our daily routine but I think that will soon change. It was almost the end of spring, which meant summer was around the corner.

I don't know how the months went by so quickly. I had left Orion at the start of spring, back then, it seemed like everything was going to fall apart, but the longer I stayed here, the easier it was to leave my life in that pack behind and build a new one here.

I huffed, thinking back to the frozen lake. According to Keyan, I didn't need to worry about the frozen lake melting. Summer in Arctos was different from summer everywhere else. Summer just meant the snow that fell during the night would melt a lot quicker underneath the sun.

"We live in the northern part of the world," Keyan reminded. "Don't worry about Summer- summer to us is a harsh winter everywhere else."

I grimaced at the thought of what an Arctos winter would look like.

Since we have been outside almost every day for the past few months, I have grown accustomed to the harsh, icy winds that blew around. I didn't need as many layers of clothing anymore, and when I transformed into my wolf, my fur was noticeably thicker.

I loved it here in Arctos. To them, I was a hero, even though I didn't feel like it. They all adored me according to Keyan, although at times their adoration became a little overwhelming.

There was a level of respect that these wolves gave me that I never really felt when I was in Orion. I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew they accepted me, more than Orion ever did.

There was no pressure or politics surrounding me either. I felt like I could make mistakes, speak my mind and most importantly, do whatever I wanted without being judged. The more days I spent here, the more I realised that maybe, just maybe, I would like to stay here forever.

The thought of returning to Orion brought nothing but heartache and anxiety. The thought of having to watch Sascha and Kaelon together, as the Alpha pair of the pack gave me nothing but headaches and chills. It wasn't something I wanted to go back to.

But I knew I had to go back. I was Kaelon's mate... we were made to be together... weren't we? I couldn't help but have doubts. If we were meant to be together, why did-

I closed my eyes, shaking the 'what ifs' out of my head. I shouldn't go there and start thinking about if things were different, because the reality was still the same. There is no use in thinking about what could've been.

Pushing myself up from my bed, I went to wash my face and get ready for the day. Looking into the small mirror, I craned my neck to the side, looking at the mark that Kaelon had given me.

The small scar was slowly fading. I didn't need to see it to know since I could feel our bond slowly breaking apart. It was normal, something that was bound to happen when a couple separates for a long period of time.

I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about it, but it was bittersweet for sure.

Kaelon has stayed silent, actually, everyone I left behind in Orion has. No one has come to try to take me back and no letters have arrived asking me to come back.

It wasn't really a surprise, especially if Kaelon had asked Jase for advice on how to handle the situation. My cousin knew me well, and knew I left because I wanted to be alone.

I could imagine Jase telling Kaelon to stay quiet and be patient. I knew two will expect me to eventually return and are waiting for that day to come. And it probably will, but maybe I won't return forever.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what I wanted. Yes, I loved Kaelon and wanted to be with him, but I know I couldn't handle Sascha always lurking beside him.