12. Finding a Killer

Rae left the others in the dining hall, Ikaito at her heels. She had to remind herself that the others here didn't know what she knew about certain people on his island, that they had never seen what she had, and how there was someone on this very island who was immensely skilled at killing without leaving a single trace behind.

       She walked up the stairs, not in the mood to waste any more time. She wasn't sure why she cared about Emmett's death. She didn't even know the man, and to her memory, had never even exchanged a single word with him.

       Maybe the human side of her was really starting to seep through those mental walls she'd tried so hard to build.

       She arrived at Ylva Hunter's room, reaching into her cloak to make sure her concealed knives were there, her fingers wrapping around the familiar hilt. She hesitated for a split second before reaching her other hand up to grab the handle, and push open the door.

       Ylva was sitting at the end of her bed, stroking the white wolf. The winged stallion, Pegasus, stood by the window, hooves pawing at the ground boredly.

       The girl glanced over when Rae entered, "No one ever teach you to knock?"

       "No one ever teach you how to be a decent human being?" Rae scoffed right back, "Where were you today, when Emmett was killed."

       Ylva raised an eyebrow, "It's been what, two hours? And you're already throwing accusations."

       "Oh please," Rae glared at her, "We're at Greenhaven. Home of people who cry over ants dying. Any moron could figure out it was one of the newcomers, and let's face it. You're literally the only possible suspect here."

       Ylva stood up, the wolf jumping off the bed, "Has it ever occurred to you," she started, "That I have no reason to harm anyone here? Hate me all you want, you deserve as much. I killed your sister for money, money that I now have. If you put aside that ridiculous pride of yours, maybe you'll see that I'm not actually a monstrous person."

       "Pride?" Rae laughed, "I grew up a rogue on the streets, I have none left."

       "You're looking in the wrong places," Ylva sighed, as Pegasus neighed from the side of the room, "You're wrong if you think I'm the only killer here. I've crossed paths with one other person in this castle before, and I'm quite sure he's the one who murdered Emmett."

       "The reason you haven't told this to anyone yet?"

       Ylva shrugged, "Couldn't be bothered to. I'm quite surprised you care. You've done nothing but relish in conflict since we got here."

       "A bit harsh, coming from the person who claims to be more than what the world sees," Rae tilted her head at the girl, "Besides, I don't think you can stand the people here any more than I can."

       Ylva chuckled, "I want to like you as a person Rae, I really do. We'll see how long that takes me."

       She stroked the white wolf that lay on the bed, "Seek the other one who comes from Oceanus," Ylva said, "Another reason I haven't confronted them is that I'm physically unable to. I think you'd have more luck."

       "Why is that?"

       "Incident with Jasmine gave me plenty of time to study your family," She said, "Your younger brother, do you talk to him much?"

       Rae watched her quizzically, "I have two. I also fail to see how this is relevant."

       "There are many serpents in Oceanus," Ylva continued. Pegasus suddenly vanished in a flash of light as she passed Rae, heading for the door, "I don't care enough about this island to help you play detective. Though Caspian Delmar did invite me to go canoeing. Feel free to come join us once you realize the people here don't deserve your time and energy."