Chapter 2: The River--Eh--Not-So-Red, Part 2

I was awakened by Jo once we entered the village below the hill that my castle sat upon. The village wasn't noteworthy, some small town where people banded together in hopes of surviving. They'd survive as long as they don't bother me; truth be told I didn't really think about them much outside of tax collections and new bodies for my army when they'd send their sons and daughters to my cause, all to appease me.

My lands were a dour sort; there was a constant darkness around the hills and the trees and buildings. This was an after effect of the corrupt experiments I did at my home. It had a far-reaching effect, and most the villagers and know-nothings speculated that there were monsters out in the darkness. This is silly; I purged failed experiments and my cultists patrolled the landside to clear any dangers for the people. This was not out of the goodness of my heart; I did not want potential rivals taking my spot or distracting my cultists.

The legion and the truck climbed the hillside upwards to the large, walled castle on top of a cliff. It overlooked the vast ocean, a looming dread coming from my humble abode and casting its shadow over all in its vicinity. I swear, every time I came back, it seemed like a storm was happening. There was always lightning and thunder, heavy rain, to greet me to my home. Typically, this would elicit minor hints of joy from me, but I had nothing for it at the moment.

I climbed out of back of the truck once we got to the courtyard. Jo went with it down to the garage, where her engineering department was next door. My cultists dissipated, went back to the business they had before they had left; card games, She-worship, patrolling the walls, and shooting the bull. The demons? They went to the infernal gate, which was on the other side of the castle, in one of the cellars, to reassess themselves or plot as demons liked to do. Even the misshapen bloodfreaks were taken back to their kennels, Bloodfeast included.

I went through the main door with Dimitri and my soon-to-be-ex-bard. We walked amongst the cultist-servants and shrines until we got to the throne room. I went immediately to my dark throne and I plopped down, the weight of rule making me feel like I was made of lead. I gave my morning star up to one of the butlers, but I kept my spellstaff close to me, digging my fingers into the ancient wood as I looked over my court. All of it was cleaned and dark, the way I usually liked it. This should feel like home, but I felt uncomfortable here.

"Where's Meredith?" I asked one of the servants.

"In the bedroom, sire, watching a movie," she said.

"Do you mind getting her? Please?"

"Please, milord? Such manners."

"I'll"—in a microsecond, I wanted to say I'd brain her with my staff for the smartass comment, but instead I gritted my teeth—"yes, now go get her."

The serving girl left, and I found myself surrounded by a group of butlers, Dimitri—who was firing that bard—and a few cultists. The bard was yelling, quick to turn around and walk up the platform, towards me. He was brazened for someone who just lost his job. Dumb, long-haired hippy.

The servants split to make way for him, Dimitri grabbing his arm to keep him from striking me. "You fired me!?" the bard yelled; his earlier cowardice long gone. "I fire you!"

"What does that even mean?" I asked.

Dimitri shrugged.

"Yes, I do not require your services anymore," I said. "Now get out."

"No, I will not."

I raised my staff and I bludgeoned him on top of the head quickly. Leo's rock-hard skull brained him, threw him down to his ass and a hand. For some reason, I didn't feel bad for hitting him.