n i n e

"jimin?"

taehyung lifted his head as he looked into the eyes of his best friend – the same best friend that supported him in heaven when jisoo disappeared the first time.

"hi, taehyung."

jimin offered a sheepish a smile that didn't reach his eyes.

taehyung felt more tears running down his face as he finally heard his name – his real name – being said again.

he pulled jimin closer to him, his heart feeling a little less broken by the other's familiar warm presence.

"wait, jimin," a thought sent a shiver down the male's spine, "why haven't you changed... how come you're still... you, even after being reborn?"

silence lingered around them before jimin buried  his face into the male's arm to stop his best friend from seeing him.

"i- i was never reborn."

taehyung bit his lip, not knowing what to think, but feeling cold nonetheless. he waited anxiously for the other to continue.

"one day i woke up, and i couldn't find you anywhere. i knew you were mortal again, so i smiled through the emptiness. i was so sure that it was a matter of time before i would be reborn too. but i never was...

for years, i watched you growing up, making new friends, exploring the world, hoping that one day, i'd join you.

but i never did."