chapter 9

"Dad, I can't stop thinking about my crush," he said with a slight smile. He was wearing a tattered white shirt and suspenders instead of the usual green coat.

His father tail rose. "Woah, son, I
I never knew it would come so fast! What's her name?"

Snufkin flushed in embarrassment. His father didn't know! He looked down.

"H-- he..."

" What?" Joxter said, almost too gentle.

" He's a boy..." Snufkin muttered.

Joxter didn't expect that. It was common to see a boy and a girl, but Joxter didn't think about that before. He always thought it was going to be like him and Mymblemamma.

"Right.. A boy! Yes- so, what's his name?"

His son stuttered out the words, "his name is Moomin."

"Moomin?" An image appeared in Joxter's mind. He shook his head. Moomin. His name was now Moominpappa. Joxter realised he overreacted and was thinking about the wrong Moomin. He looked back at his son.

Snufkin looked taken back by his reaction and looked like he was holding back tears. "I don't know what to do..." his hands were fiddling at the hem of his white shirt.

" For now, let your feelings flow out." Joxter hesitated, unsure of what to say next. He had never delt with this type of situation before, and it would be the hardest to deal with Snufkin, he realised.

" I don't know if he'll like me back!" he said, and tears streamed down his face.

"Will he? Will he like me?" Snufkin continued, and Joxter sat down next to him. He placed an arm around him hesitantly. " I'm s-sure he will."

Moomin told him before that he had a crush on Snufkin, too.

Joxter saw a shadow from outside the tent. He swore.

"Snufkin?" The troll lifted the flap of the tent's entrance and looked in. He dropped his basket of mushrooms. Moomin covered his mouth.

"Snufkin!"