- 12 -

Richie fell onto the bench and looked anywhere but Eddie. "I refuse to say anything more," he said. Eddie breathed in sharply and looked into the distance. Mike smiled and shook his head. "You guys are the weirdest group of friends I've ever had," he said and Beverly chuckled. "But you love us," she said.

Ben and Bill started up their own conversation with each other and Beverly joined in. Richie glanced at his friends and bit his lip. "Hey guys," he said as he stood up. "I'm going to head to the arcade." He picked up his bike and threw his leg over.

"Okay, bye Rich!" Beverly said as she waved him bye. Before he left, he glanced over at Eddie who met his eyes. Eddie crossed his arms and asked, "Why are you looking at me?" Richie steered his bike away. "Oh, so now I can't look at people?"

"No, actually."

Riche rolled his eyes and biked away, leaving Ben behind. "Bye, Richie.." Ben said but his voice fizzled out when he realized he was too far away to hear.

~~~

Richie spent an hour in the arcade playing street fighter and a few other games. He thought playing games would distract his mind from the conversation he and his friends had, but the topic refused to leave. Richie had thought about it before, kissing Eddie. Actually, he's thought about it multiple times, before It and after - especially after.

He sucked in a breath and shook his head. He's failing this level so if he doesn't focus soon he'd- a low tuned sound came from the machine- die. His shoulders fell and he resisted the urge to slap the machine.

He dug around in his pocket for another coin and his hand was only met with fabric. "The fuck?" he muttered and tried his other pockets. Nothing. He'd spent all the money he had. He sighed and let his arms fall against his thighs. Guess I'll have to go home, he thought.

He knew his mother would be home, draped over some sort of furniture completely passed out. He pushed the arcade door open and also the thought out of his mind as he stepped into the blinding sunlight.

The humidity wasn't too bad for early June, but the heat definitely was. The sun beat down on him, threatening to overheat him under the mop of hair and pasty pink Hawaiian jacket.

He dragged his bike out of the bike rack and steered it down the sidewalk. He quickly got on and looked around for a break in traffic so he could bike across the street.

He glanced over his shoulder, and across the street behind him was Eddie, walking alongside his bike. Richie could feel his mood instantly boost from the sight of Eddie. He almost forgot how he spent the rest of his money at the arcade.

He looked back down and tried to steer his bike around. "Hey Eds!" Richie called out. Eddie's head snapped up and his steps slowed as he looked around. He quickly spotted Richie from across the street.

Richie looked both ways before slowly going down the sharp curb and into the street. Eddie paused and waited for him to cross, neither of them noticing the approaching car.

Richie heard the rumble of the engine and looked down the street. When he noticed the upcoming car, panic rose in his chest and his feet jerked, trying to peddle away.

"RICHIE!" Eddie yelled, dropping his bike to the ground and jogging the few feet to Richie. The driver noticed the kid in the street and slammed on the brake.

Richie let go of a breath and looked to Eddie, who's eyes were wide with fear. "Get out of the fucking street, Rich!" Eddie said, motioning for Richie. "Oh yeah," he said and pushed his bike up the curb to Eddie.